Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PompanoPete
Frequent Visitor

Add members to Roles for Object Level Security

I used PBI Desktop to add 3 roles, A, B, C.  (No Table filter dax expression).  I then used Tabular Editor 2.19.0 to configure Object Level Security on various columns.  I switched back to Desktop and tested using "view as" and everything thing works great.  When I publish to the service it does not work.

I am having trouble associating AD groups to the roles.  In Tabular editor, I select the role and can see its properties > Members > ... which opens ModelRoleMember Collection Editor.  I can add new memeber, but I get the default name <New Memeber >.  The Memeber ID and Memeber Name are disabled and don't allow me to enter an AD Group.  I have looked online, and tried to configure in the service but no luck.

How do I add memebers to the Roles I created?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PompanoPete 

Can you ensure that the AD groups are Security groups. The security groups should be able to be added in the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PompanoPete 

Can you ensure that the AD groups are Security groups. The security groups should be able to be added in the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Sorry Guys,

My Power BI report with OLS security was deployed to a "Dev" workspace, but never got deployed to a "QA" workspace.  I assumed it had.  Because we had not deployed a PBI report with OLS implemented those option where not available.  Once I deployed a PBI report with OLS security to QA the options became available.

User error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors