Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Justair07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Add New Users to Gateway Cluster

Hello,

This one is driving me crazy. I have a Gateway cluster with about 5 data sources. I want someone else to be able to use my cluster for their reporting needs. How can I add them as a user without adding them as an Admin? Maybe I want them to be able to use it so they can schedule refreshes through it but not be able to delete or change the data sources within the cluster.

My gateway is set up as enterprise mode.

Thank you,

-Justair07

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Justair07,

When they publish a report that uses that source, you will see the Gateway connection available to them under the data settings page as mentioned below.  I know it is a little confusing.  They will not see a list of all data sources that have been defined, rather Power BI will match what is in their report with what you have defined.  Please note that you need to keep the definitions the same (ie. don't use a server alias in one place and a fully qualified name in another, also to be safe, keep the case consistent).  Please let me know if this helps!

Dawn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dethompson97
Resolver III
Resolver III

-Justair07,

If you only want them to be able to use the data source that you have defined, you need to add them as users of the data source.  This will allow them to publish reports using this data source and schedule refreshes of their data sets.  You will do this seperately for each data source and each data source can have a different set of users defined that can use it.

Hope this helps!

Dawn Thompson

PS:  If this solution works, please mark it as a solution to help others. Kudos are nice too.

-

data source.png

@dethompson97  Hello, thank you for advise. Indeed added user can see shared data source
But can't refresh data. Manual or planned refresh failed:

Refresh failed.png

As soon as i add this user also as a gateway Administartor refreshes start to work.

What can be a reason?

Thank you.

Can you give us some details about the type of data source this is?  The message isn't super clear and I can't tell from what you have blacked out.  Perhaps that will spark some ideas in the group.

Thanks!

Dawn

@dethompson97 

This data source uses custom data connector on on-premises data gateway with OAuth2 authentication.

Refresh failed 3.png

I have not worked with custom connectors, but I wonder if it has anything to do with their ability to access the folder on the gateway machine.  When you add them as admin they can access but otherwise not.  Perhaps someone who has worked with this can chime in.

Dawn

@dethompson97  I tried that as well but when I added the user at the datasource level, I went over to the Power BI service account of the user I shared it with and I did not see the data source as being available to them to use. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot.

Justair07,

When they publish a report that uses that source, you will see the Gateway connection available to them under the data settings page as mentioned below.  I know it is a little confusing.  They will not see a list of all data sources that have been defined, rather Power BI will match what is in their report with what you have defined.  Please note that you need to keep the definitions the same (ie. don't use a server alias in one place and a fully qualified name in another, also to be safe, keep the case consistent).  Please let me know if this helps!

Dawn

@dethompson97 Thank you!! That was the step I was missing! I needed to look at the published reports Dataset settings for the user I shared the datasource with and it was staring me right in the face under Gateway connection

Annotation 2020-02-05 085237.png

@Justair07 

Please follow the below setps.

Path:- select the workspace>> double click >> data set >> select the dataset >> settings >> Gateway Connection.

Please refer the below snippet.

Dataset Settings - DS Level Perm.JPG

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Hi there

You have to go into the App Workspace, then Settings, then Datasets.

Finally click on the Dataset and look under Gateway Connection

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors