Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MadsWolf
Regular Visitor

Accessing push data set api with azure function app - power bi service

Hi,

I want to push data from an azure function app to a power bi push dataset.
I have learned that you can register an application with power bi and grant it access in azure active directory, but this seems to be mostly focused at embedded capacities going by the fact that the documentation for the power bi api only links to registering an embedded application:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/

If i create a push dataset in the power bi service i can get a push url through the api info option, is this the only option for power BI service or is it possible to register an app for power BI service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

The App Registration is an application with app ID, therefore you can add it to the workspace with a role just like you add your user principal id

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MadsWolf
Regular Visitor

Hi Amine,

I am not sure if this answers my question.
I will give some context as to my use case which might make it clearer what i mean.

My team already has a Power Bi service capacity up and running with multiple workspaces and  reports that use import mode.
Now we need to use push datasets for a real-time dashboard.
We already have the source of the data, so all we need is a server side application that can load this data into memory and push it to the push dataset.

Now on to my question.
If the app registration is in power bi embedded, then how do i grant that application access to the workspaces and datasets of the power bi service capacity?

This is a question of how to grant access to the Power BI service API for a server side application, not about how to access it for an embedded application.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

The App Registration is an application with app ID, therefore you can add it to the workspace with a role just like you add your user principal id

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Yes this would indeed grant access to the API, now there is another question.

The permission that you can grant an application is very broad, so i would like to know the alternatives.
There is a key that is generated which can be used for a push dataset when viewing API info:

MadsWolf_0-1697468084164.png

This is generated along with an example script that shows how to access the dataset through the api.

Is there documentation on this key? Is it permanent or does it expire? how long does it last if it does expire?

Or is this key solely for ilustration and is not intended for use in an application?

Here is an example of what the url looks like:

MadsWolf_1-1697468530350.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not sure what do you want to say by Key !? Dou you mean the Access Token? If so then Yes the Access Token normally lasts no more than 1 hour but because you are using the App Regsitration then it will be generated automatically by the App and there is no expiration time.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

I mean the query parameter that is named "key" in the url presented above that is presumedly used to grant access to the api of the dataset.

As can be seen here, bu redacted out:

MadsWolf_0-1697470147803.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Honestly I am not familiar with cURL as I use Powershell mainly.

Check these out it might help you :

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Convert-Curl-to-Web-Contents-in-Power-Query/td-p/2...

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/Use-cURL-in-PowerBi/td-p/692055

But I think the Key is also the Token because Power bi uses the Access Token to use REST APIs

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MadsWolf 

Yes you need an App Registration

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-App-Registration/m-p/2148107

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors