Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

markpatton
Helper I
Helper I

Access to Application without a Microsoft account

Is there anyway to provide user access to our Power BI application without requiring a Microsoft Account. Our application uses RLS based on email login. We are creating entries in the Azure Active directory and inviting users with thier own private email. This is a bit of a hassle because to access the application they are forced to create a Microsoft account. 

Is this just a hard requirement? Do users accessing a application with RLS require a Microsoft Account linked to their personal Emails. I just want a way that they could log into the Power BI application without being forced into a Microsoft Account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @markpatton 

Row level security works by providing the user login details associated with the PowerBI licence (free, pro or ppu). So users must have a PowerBI licence for RLS to work. There is no exception to that, having some sort of PowerBI licence is a hard requirement. I think the details required for a free licence are quite light, just a corporate email address, but they must register to view any shared report.

hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @markpatton 

Row level security works by providing the user login details associated with the PowerBI licence (free, pro or ppu). So users must have a PowerBI licence for RLS to work. There is no exception to that, having some sort of PowerBI licence is a hard requirement. I think the details required for a free licence are quite light, just a corporate email address, but they must register to view any shared report.

hope this helps

Stuart

In order to view the application tyou do need a power bi pro license. In our case we are inviting our clients as guest users to our tenant and assigning them a power bi pro license via outlook 365. What I am trying to avoid is forcing them to create a Microsoft account for thier personal emails (gmail, outlook, etc). When the email is added to Azure active directory they are invited to our tenant but forced to create a Microsoft account. This is what I am trying to avoid but it does not look possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors