Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

steffeto

"No ODAC driver is found on the System" after September 2023 Update

Hello,

since I've updated our on-Premise PowerBI Report Server to the newest Version September 2023, I can no longer connect to Oracle Databases with the following error message: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'No ODAC driver is found on the system. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the provider.'"

Before I installed the Update everything was working fine, tnsnames.ora is still correct and tnsping also works fine. I didn't change anything to the installed ODAC drivers or stuff like that, all I did was install the newest PowerBI Update.

Any suggestions on how to fix that error?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jl_Ho
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

You need to install the latest version of "Oracle-Client-For-Microsoft". This is the link: Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools.

K r.

View solution in original post

I downloaded the x64 version, ran the installer and the only thing I changed was the second file path where it asks to point to tnsnames.ora/sqlnet.ora. Gave it the correct file path to my TNS folder and that was it.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
sharmarudra

Even after installing latest version of Oracle-Client-for-Microsoft-Tools-64-bit, as I use 64 bit Power BI desktop, this issue is still there. 

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have downloaded the latest version of Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools and created the tnsnames file (with the connection details) in the network\admin folder, uninstalled the old oracle client as it was not working with the latest September 2023 update, and getting the following error: Oracle: ORA-12637: Packet receive failed.

Hi, you need to be sure that you donwnloaded the aligned version of the tool. 32 ou 64 bits... 

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes, I have the same versions both 64 bit, I have put in a service request so hopefully will get a response back from the Power BI support team at Microsoft.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have had to reinstall the older versions of both oracle client and power bi. Also created a service request ticket and could not be solved by the support team.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The latest version has resolved this issue for me Dec 18 2023.

Jl_Ho
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

You need to install the latest version of "Oracle-Client-For-Microsoft". This is the link: Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools.

K r.

gregHM
Frequent Visitor

I upgraded to the Dec 2023 version of gateway. Encountered the ODAC error as well with existing oracle connections. Refreshes just failed. I don't really understand why this happened. I then installed the Oracle client for microsoft tools and it enabled me to do refreshes....it seems flakey though when I test the connections in the service from the gateway connections page. Sometimes they are online, sometimes offline......super weird and I hope we get information soon as to what caused this, I can't have these connections being unreliable.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

if you work for a company then Power BI service will use the gateway to connect and not your local machine, also I use the older Oracle client with the latest Power BI version there are no issues, I did try the Oracle client for MS tools in my machine but that didn't want to work.

Hi, we are having the same issue. Can anyone confirm that installing the latest Oracle Client resolved the issue?  Thanks

We were having this issue and after installing the x64 version from the link provided and pointing it to our TNS folder during installation the error went away.

Did you follow the instructions in the attached PDF, or did you just install the x64 version without any further complications? I need to be pretty sure if it works, before I start testing out.

I downloaded the x64 version, ran the installer and the only thing I changed was the second file path where it asks to point to tnsnames.ora/sqlnet.ora. Gave it the correct file path to my TNS folder and that was it.

Hello Maxuell,

How did you give it a correct file path

I am having challenges doing that

Not for Power BI but ODBC connections within Excel. Path was - C:\oracle\product\19.0.0\client_1\network\admin\sample

How can I change it in Excel? I couldn't find it.

Thank You!!!! Installed and got the tnsnames error. This is what finally fixed it after a reinstall!

Hi Maxwell 

I did the same. It turned out to work. Thanks!

Thank you!

Eggy25
Regular Visitor

Hi 

I had the same issue, fixed it by downgrading the Power BI version (July version works fine) Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn. I have no clue how to establish the connection on the new release.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.