Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zumaval

Upgrade to March 2018 - Doesn't work

I've run through this process in a test environment and can't seem to complete the upgrade to PBI RS from the March 2018 release.  

I'm starting from an SSRS 2016 server.  Ran through the upgrade process to the PowerBI RS October 2017 release.  

From there everything seems to work fine.  I can browse the folders, run reports, no problem.  

When I attempt to install the PBIRS March 2018 release, it seems to go through just fine but the report server is not browsable.  All we get is a notice "Something went wrong.  Please try again later".  

I've attempted this process several times.  It leaves me in exactly the same spot every time.  As far as I can tell, the March 2018 release of PBI Report Server is a bust.

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Good question, there's many successful upgrades, so there's something unique happening here. A few things to try:

1. If you are running both SSRS 2016 and PBIRS on the same machine, that can sometimes cause conflicts. Try to run on separate machines if possible. 

2. Check the URL reservations in the configuration tool, these can often be mis-configured to point the wrong server end points, or are not updated because windows is holding a lock on them and you need to reboot. 

3. Take a look at the report server log files, these will contain more detailed information about what's wrong and can help further diagnose the issue. 

4. Ensure you downloaded the latest copy of the March release, as you can see in the release notes, there are updates fixed in April and May. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.