Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Philipp_A
Regular Visitor

Report Server + User costs

Hello,

after reading through some sites both from Microsoft and 3rd-party I am more confused than in the beginning.

What I am trying to find out is: How much will an on-prem installation cost?

The questions I am asking myself right now are:

• "Business-Users" are good to go with a free license?
  • Content creator need a Pro license?
  • The Report Server is only available either through a Premium license (what does that mean? just 1 license is enough?) or by purchasing SQL Server with SA?

So if we say that there will be no data sent to the cloud and there will be 50 content consumers and 5 content creator, I need 5 Pro licenses and a minimum of 1 premium license for the Report Server? I guess thats wrong.

Please help me. 🙂

Cheers,

Philipp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Philipp_A wrote:

So if we say that there will be no data sent to the cloud and there will be 50 content consumers and 5 content creator, I need 5 Pro licenses and a minimum of 1 premium license for the Report Server? I guess thats wrong.

So that is pretty much right, content consumers are free and creators require a pro license which is roughly USD$10 per month. But you might be underestimating the cost of the premium license. Specifically what you need is a Power BI Premium Capacity license. These come in blocks of 8 vcores and for each core of premium capacity your are licensed to have the same number of cores running on prem for Power BI Report Server.

The starting license for a Premium Capacity is a P1 which has 8 vcores so you can run Power BI Report Server on a since 8 core machine or even 2 x 4 core machines or 4 x 2 core machines. The important thing is that the total cores on-prem is less than or equal to your Premium Capacity license. 

I'm not sure what country you are in, but you can see here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ that in USD it is about $5000 per month for a P1 capacity.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Philipp_A
Regular Visitor

Hey d_gosbell,

thanks for your clarification!

One last question: Ist there a RAM size limit? I've read somewhere that for P1 its 25 GB and for P2 50 GB.

@Philipp_A wrote:

One last question: Ist there a RAM size limit? I've read somewhere that for P1 its 25 GB and for P2 50 GB.

No, the RAM limit only applies to the cloud instances. When you install Report Server on-prem you can have as much RAM as you want, it is only the core count on the servers that matters.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Philipp_A wrote:

So that is pretty much right, content consumers are free and creators require a pro license which is roughly USD$10 per month. But you might be underestimating the cost of the premium license. Specifically what you need is a Power BI Premium Capacity license. These come in blocks of 8 vcores and for each core of premium capacity your are licensed to have the same number of cores running on prem for Power BI Report Server.

The starting license for a Premium Capacity is a P1 which has 8 vcores so you can run Power BI Report Server on a since 8 core machine or even 2 x 4 core machines or 4 x 2 core machines. The important thing is that the total cores on-prem is less than or equal to your Premium Capacity license. 

I'm not sure what country you are in, but you can see here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ that in USD it is about $5000 per month for a P1 capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.