Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gkiss
Frequent Visitor

RLS members (>100 email addresses) maintaining

Hi,

I have using Roles using USERNAMEPRINCIPAL() on my desktop. I would filter data based on that and display for users just own data on the report. 

Then in the online service, where we add email addresses (Row-Level Security/Members) to the roles you defined in desktop, is there a way to add more than 100 people in one go? Now I'm adding one-by-one, which is tedious job. Is it possible to add/refresh member email adresses dinamically?

RLS is a perfect solution for this, I have jut a problem to maintain member addresses on the server.
Is there any other way/tip?

3 REPLIES 3
gkiss
Frequent Visitor

I have a user table that contains the email addresses. I using the following Table filter Dax Expression in Power BI Desktop for this table: [email] = userprincipalname().

I published the report to the server. I grant acces to the users for the report - Read permission. Workspace access for the users is Viewer.
1 . Didn't added users(Members) to the Row-Level-Security. This way the user got the following error: "The repot can't be viewed beccause the uderlying dataset uses row-level security (RLS)."

2 . If I added users(Members) to the Row-Level-Security. This way working fine the filter based on the users e-mail filtering.

So as you written DRLS does not working for me as you describe. Did I miss something?

Other I did not find "Bulk add" option on the server. Under Settings (gears) I have just the following options: Manage Groupe Storage, Admin portal, Manage connections and gateways, Settings, Azure Analysis services migrations, Manage embed codes. May I tried to found it in a wrong "Settings" place. Could you please add a picture where can I found it?

jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to add multiple members to a role in one go using Power BI Service. You can do this by using a CSV file that contains a list of email addresses for the members you want to add to the role.

To add members using a CSV file, go to the Power BI Service, click on the "Settings" (gear) icon, then select "Security" and "Manage roles". Select the role you want to add members to, click on "Members", and then select "Bulk add".

You can then upload a CSV file that contains a list of email addresses for the members you want to add to the role. Each email address should be on a separate line. Once you upload the file, the members will be added to the role automatically.

Another option is to use dynamic row-level security (DRLS) instead of adding members to a role. With DRLS, you can define rules that automatically filter data based on the user's email address or other attributes. This can be more efficient than managing a list of members manually, and it allows for more flexibility in defining access control rules.

To use DRLS, you'll need to define a table that contains the email addresses and other attributes that you want to use for filtering data. You can then define rules that use these attributes to filter data dynamically based on the user who is accessing the report.

I have a similar requirement and on top of that, is it possible to send the user based report via email ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.