Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ggarciadynamik4

How to convert DATE/TIME Column to duration?

Hello Everyone, 

I linked an external database to access and then linked from access to PowerBI.
I am trying to create a dashboard to extract worked hours, but when doing the link described above, the worked hours came as DATE/TIME, not duration, so PowerBI does not sum the hours correctly, I need to convert DATE/TIME to duration but didn't find any solution to make this. 

I already tried to do as bellow 
EDIT QUERY / Transform Collum / Transform Time only  = The time came i.e. 5:00:00. 
Also tried to convert as Duration, but PowerBI just give me a message of error, not allowing to convert it. 

Can someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You cannot automatically convert a Time column to a duration since a Time is a single point in time so it has no duration. But in your case it sounds like something like 05:00 should be a duration of 5 hours. So one way to do this is calculate the duration from midnight to the specified time. You can do this by subtracting a time of "00:00" from your current time column (subtracting one time from another returns a duration)

If you click on "Add Column" in the ribbon then choose the "Custom Column" optoin and enter a formula like the following it will return a duration.

[YourTimeColumn] - Time.FromText("00:00:00")

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You cannot automatically convert a Time column to a duration since a Time is a single point in time so it has no duration. But in your case it sounds like something like 05:00 should be a duration of 5 hours. So one way to do this is calculate the duration from midnight to the specified time. You can do this by subtracting a time of "00:00" from your current time column (subtracting one time from another returns a duration)

If you click on "Add Column" in the ribbon then choose the "Custom Column" optoin and enter a formula like the following it will return a duration.

[YourTimeColumn] - Time.FromText("00:00:00")

worked perfectly - thank you
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ggarciadynamik4 Chelsie Eiden's Duration - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors