Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data source credentials from a folder type (Z:) or (W:)

Hello,
I just finished a power bi file in the desktop application, which is linked to local files that I create myself in excel, but there are other csv type files that are sourced from a shared folder in the organization, a folder of type ( Z :\) or (\\10,130....\user...).
My problem is that when I uploaded this power bi file to the web so that it is available online, when it comes to logging in credentials, I have a problem with these files in the folder type (Z:\) or (\\ 10,130....\user...).

What could I do to set the credentials with those files?

I found another similar post, but I couldn't figure out what the solution is or how exactly it is done, the post is: "Enterprise Gateway Mapped Network Drive Problems"

by @wynhopkins

Thank you.

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-22 005917.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-22 010015.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that you need to use the full UNC path instead of the mapped drive letter to access the shared folder. This is because mapped drives are only available on your machine locally, which is not available on your network 

Here’s what you can do to set the credentials with those files:

1. Open your Power BI Desktop file and change the data source to use the full UNC path of the shared folder.
  2. Republish the file to the web.
  3. Set up the Enterprise Gateway to use the full UNC path of the shared folder as well

Solved: Enterprise Gateway mapped network drive issue - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You really don't want to give the gateway access to your local files. Use a file server, or - better - a cloud file share like OneDrive. That has the added advantage that it does not require a gateway.

v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that you need to use the full UNC path instead of the mapped drive letter to access the shared folder. This is because mapped drives are only available on your machine locally, which is not available on your network 

Here’s what you can do to set the credentials with those files:

1. Open your Power BI Desktop file and change the data source to use the full UNC path of the shared folder.
  2. Republish the file to the web.
  3. Set up the Enterprise Gateway to use the full UNC path of the shared folder as well

Solved: Enterprise Gateway mapped network drive issue - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.