Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Bar chart filtered by Top N Values in Power BI Paginated Report.

Let's supposed I have this dataset:

db2907_0-1694114977222.png

If I order it by Value (Z->A), I get this:

db2907_1-1694115013829.png

If I create a column chart based on the Top 6 Values, I'm getting the right result:

db2907_2-1694115085832.png

But if I try to do the same with the Area, I'm getting all the Values in the chart:

db2907_3-1694115144637.png

This is the configuration for the category group:

db2907_4-1694115181646.pngdb2907_5-1694115190696.png

What do I need to change in order to reach the expected result, just the 6 first values represented in the column chart by area.

This would be result that we need: The top 6 values (aggregared) represented in their respective areas, without modifying the original dataset, only throught the configuration of the visualization :

db2907_0-1694448200624.png

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I don't understand what you are expecting here. There are only 3 areas in your data, so when you ask for a top 6 you get all 3 areas since there are not more than 6 areas. What behaviour are you expecting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @d_gosbell  thanks for your reply. I have updated the post. The idea is to see only the top 6 values represented in the column chart (by area), but without touching the original dataset, just using the configuration of the visual. The dataset is used in other visuals. 

@Anonymous wrote:

The idea is to see only the top 6 values represented in the column chart (by area), but without touching the original dataset, just using the configuration of the visual. The dataset is used in other visuals. 

So you cannot do this just using the group configuration. There is no way to alter the order of the grouping and filtering in the chart configuration.

I think your only option is to create a second copy of the dataset, do your top N filtering there. Or an even better approach would be to do the Top N in the query for that second dataset so it's done at the source rather than in the reporting layer. Then you can build both your charts off that new dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.