Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

g30__
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Azure database from Power BI desktop: Named Pipes Provider error 40

I sucessfull connected to my company's azure database 2 days ago using Power BI. It is configured to allow remote connections and has no limit to the number of allowed connections, however since then I have been unable to connect again, I keep getting this error:

g30___0-1675960095486.png

I am still able to connect to this database through other software (QGIS), and the dashboard I previously published to Power BI service using the same database is still connected and up to date but I can't import new data from any different tables.

Things I have tried:

1. Triple checking all the characters in the server name
  2. Going into data source settings, edit permissions, edit credentials, and making sure the credentials, and other settings are correct
  3. I have allowed port 1433 and power BI through windows firewall
  4. Using telnet command whihc resulted in: Connect failed

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a while, but as it turns out I was setting up the connection as an SQL database instead of a Postgresql database.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good to know, how do you do that?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello I'm having the same issue, did you got any updates?

It's been a while, but as it turns out I was setting up the connection as an SQL database instead of a Postgresql database.

Unfortunately no, I'm still having the exact same issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors