Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

350z
Helper I
Helper I

Transform Data to Clean Table

Hello all,

Attempting to create a table with traditional columns and rows.

Calling from API (Web Contents) brings source data in as plain text. Csv.Document vs Json.Document fixes this but data gets jumbled and some values I've never seen before in combination with original value. The top row should be all headers (separated by comma), but all data below (encapsulated by quotation marks) should be corresponding to those column headers within rows. When I convert to table, the data doesn't play so nicely. Does anybody know how to convert this data into a clean table?

Thank you

350z_0-1713978671027.png

Expected result...:

350z_1-1713978689523.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@350z 

It looks like you're facing challenges in converting plain text data retrieved from an API into a clean table format in Power BI. To achieve your expected result, you can follow these steps:

1. **Retrieve Data from API:**
- Use the "Web" connector in Power BI to retrieve data from the API endpoint.
- Ensure that the data is retrieved correctly and appears as plain text in the Power Query Editor.

2. **Clean Data in Power Query Editor:**
- Use the appropriate delimiter (comma) to split the plain text data into columns. You can do this by using the "Split Column" feature in Power Query Editor.
- Remove any unwanted characters or rows, such as quotation marks or extra header rows, to clean up the data.

3. **Convert Text to Table:**
- After cleaning the data, convert it into a table format using the "From Text" option in Power Query Editor.
- Specify the delimiter (comma) and ensure that the first row is treated as headers.

4. **Transform Data Types:**
- Ensure that the data types of each column are correctly identified. Power Query Editor automatically detects data types, but you may need to manually adjust them if necessary.

5. **Load Data into Power BI:**
- Once you're satisfied with the data transformation and formatting, click "Close & Load" to load the data into Power BI as a table.

6. **Verify Results:**
- Verify that the loaded table in Power BI matches your expected result. Check that the headers are correctly assigned and that the data is formatted as rows and columns.

Here's a simplified example of how you can achieve this in Power Query Editor:

```m
let
// Retrieve data from API
Source = Web.Contents("https://api.example.com/data"),

// Convert plain text data to table
#"Converted to Table" = Csv.Document(Source, [Delimiter=",", Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),

// Promote headers
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Converted to Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
#"Promoted Headers"
```

This Power Query script retrieves data from the API, converts it into a table, and promotes the first row as headers. Adjust the delimiter, encoding, and other settings as needed based on your specific data format and requirements.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@350z 

It looks like you're facing challenges in converting plain text data retrieved from an API into a clean table format in Power BI. To achieve your expected result, you can follow these steps:

1. **Retrieve Data from API:**
- Use the "Web" connector in Power BI to retrieve data from the API endpoint.
- Ensure that the data is retrieved correctly and appears as plain text in the Power Query Editor.

2. **Clean Data in Power Query Editor:**
- Use the appropriate delimiter (comma) to split the plain text data into columns. You can do this by using the "Split Column" feature in Power Query Editor.
- Remove any unwanted characters or rows, such as quotation marks or extra header rows, to clean up the data.

3. **Convert Text to Table:**
- After cleaning the data, convert it into a table format using the "From Text" option in Power Query Editor.
- Specify the delimiter (comma) and ensure that the first row is treated as headers.

4. **Transform Data Types:**
- Ensure that the data types of each column are correctly identified. Power Query Editor automatically detects data types, but you may need to manually adjust them if necessary.

5. **Load Data into Power BI:**
- Once you're satisfied with the data transformation and formatting, click "Close & Load" to load the data into Power BI as a table.

6. **Verify Results:**
- Verify that the loaded table in Power BI matches your expected result. Check that the headers are correctly assigned and that the data is formatted as rows and columns.

Here's a simplified example of how you can achieve this in Power Query Editor:

```m
let
// Retrieve data from API
Source = Web.Contents("https://api.example.com/data"),

// Convert plain text data to table
#"Converted to Table" = Csv.Document(Source, [Delimiter=",", Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),

// Promote headers
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Converted to Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
#"Promoted Headers"
```

This Power Query script retrieves data from the API, converts it into a table, and promotes the first row as headers. Adjust the delimiter, encoding, and other settings as needed based on your specific data format and requirements.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

You're him!! Thank you very much, exactly as expected!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors