Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jarek_Warsaw
Regular Visitor

SQL tables append problem

Hello,

I'm trying to combine data from the accounting system for different companies. I retrieve the data through SQL Server from identical tables located in different databases, add one column to specify the company, and attempt to 'append' to proceed with further processing. Unfortunately, nothing happens; the resulting table is not displayed, and the system keeps working continuously (moving dots across the top bar). When a new or changed table appears, a yellow exclamation mark appears, but I cannot see what the error is. There is also no dialog box appearing. I tried changing access settings (None, Public, Organizational), but it didn't change anything. I also tried different Data Connectivity modes (Import and DirectQueries), also without success. I would appreciate any hints on what might be causing this behavior.

Thanks a lot for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

UNION is a DAX function. You do that in Power BI, not in Power Query.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jarek_Warsaw
Regular Visitor

Thanks, but I'm not sure how to Union tables. Is it a different method than 'Append' from QueryEditor (Home menu, Combine)? How can I access it?

Just to add, tables are loaded into Power BI, have size max 20k x 35 columns, each. Source databases are on the same server on local machine.

UNION is a DAX function. You do that in Power BI, not in Power Query.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

from identical tables located in different databases ... and attempt to 'append' to proceed with further processing

The formula firewall monster will not be happy about that.

Load the tables as is and do the UNION in Power BI instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors