Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh Error - Local File excel with data model - not enough space for this row

Hello - 

I am using PowerBI.com and not the desktop version. I can successfully upload a local excel file which contains data models. The file is an .xlsx file that is <65mb  and stored on a network drive. It loads completely and without error.

However, when I try to refresh the data, even without making any changes to it, I get an error.

Processing Error:There is no enough space for this row.
Cluster URI:WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity Id:91585ab3-066c-3705-60e4-fcfd188b4961
Request Id:5cb6c2dc-d28b-4a00-6a76-49e1203c6651
Time:2015-09-16 19:35:01Z

Is this a file size issue? Do I need to use the desktop version then push to the web? I have a BI Pro license.

thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous

This helpful post by Adam Saxton should let you know if it's a model size issue. Explore this first, then let's move on from there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was waiting for you to chime in on that. I watched the video and read throug that article from doing my research on other topics. If it was a file size issue, wouldn't the problem occur on the initial connection/upload? Why am I able to connect to the data, upload, work with it, but then it bonks on the refresh? 

The files are excel files over 60 mb. The data model is 64 mb. the action requied:

* Action Required: You have to do one of two things.  Either enable the workbook in the old Power BI Sites, or use the Get Data action within the new Power BI Dashboard site and get an Excel File that is hosted on OneDrive for Business which allows you to still use the Excel Online app as an option.

I used the Get Data action within the new dashboard site. I'm trying to use the personal data gateway to connect to a hosted network folder so we can drop files into the network location and use a scheduled refresh. 

@Anonymous Sorry about that, looks like I mis-read the question. It looks like I took a shot at determining this issue in a different thread when a different user had this problem (Found here). Pinging him to see if he ever resolved this.

@bloigge did you ever resolve the "Not enough space for this row" error?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi,

No I wasn't able - but I am in contact with the MS tech team. Unfortunatly I had no time this week to try all the suggested workarounds:

//// 

Workaround/Options

- The other alternative is to perform all these task in a power query workbook stored in one drive and load the final query results into a Excel table. But you will have to manually update the excel file. The Power BI report will be updated automatically every hour.

- You mentioned you've recreated this in Power Query. Have you tried uploading this ti Power BI? If yes, Do you get the same error when trying to refresh this Dataset?

- Another Option is to create Power View Reports and load the whole excel file to Power BI. See Link

////

I think the problem is, that my data model is too complex - My "main" query, which I use to create the final report has 500 000 rows - but I do have up to 5 other queries, which are the source for the main query and when I count all rows I am way over the 1 000 000 limit (but thats only some idea I have). I hope I will find some time tomorrow for investigation.

BR

Was this ever resolved?

I'm getting this error doing a refresh from a SQL Azure DB.

I get the same Error on the service when trying to refresh, works dine in the desktop? 

was anyone able to track down the what causing this?

The only thing I already tryed was to upload an excel file with the same data model (which I am able to refresh via PowerQuery) to PowerBI ---> same error!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors