Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

Query Parameter not updating form Query List

My parameter with Query as suggested values does not update from the underlying list.

I have a parameter "EndpointURL" I want to use in flexibly defining which data source to use for my main queries.

It is supposed to take the value from the query "qEndpointURL" which returns a single value from a LIST (not table oviously).

JSiebrecht_0-1625137550080.png

The value in that list (from query qEndpointULR) in turn depends on the value of a List Parameter ("Environment").
It changes its value correctly depending on the its input parameter.

JSiebrecht_1-1625137872904.png

However, the Query Parameter (EndpointURL) does not update with the changed value from the list if I change the overarching input parameter ("Environment").
It is set to "Include in report refresh", but it does not. 
It always stays on the "Current Value" set initially.

Does anyone know how to get query based parameters to refresh with the values of their underlying queries?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Jan

(I checked "Enable load" as well for easier trouble shooting so I can easier show the current parameter value in the report.)

JSiebrecht_2-1625138143655.png

4 REPLIES 4
PaulYellLacki

I just ran into this.  Basically you want a "parameter" (little p), not a "Parameter". Avoid using the Parameters menu altogether. I take it that is for suggesting values to change manually at some point on the service, not being truly dynamic and automatic.

Instead take your query that creates the "parameter" and right click the value and hit drill down. This will give you a dynamic value that will update on refresh.

PQ Dynamic parameter 03.JPG

You can reference this in a formula step elsewhere or in the advanced editor without first hitting manage parameters. 

In my case I had a date table and I wanted a start date and and end date dynamic parameter to filter the date table, which would be different everyday.

PQ Dynamic parameter 01.JPG

And then I just apply a filter on my DimDate table using that (and a 2nd parameter I made):

= Table.SelectRows(DimDate1, each [Cal_Date_DT] >= WoWDate and [Cal_Date_DT] <= LastBusDate)

PQ Dynamic parameter 02.JPG

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Try drilling down on that parameter value in the table (right-click on the value, then select Drill Down. As it stands, You have a list containing a text value, but your query should resolve to a scalar text value. If you just drill down on the list so that you have just the value, the parameter should work.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Dear Nate ( @watkinnc ),

thanks for your input.
However, Query Parameters require a a List Query, not a list drilled down to a single value.
When doing the later, it query is not availbale anymore in the Manage Parameter, Query selection.
Any previously associated queries get cut.

JSiebrecht_0-1625217953366.png

I'm afraid, this does not do the trick.

JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

Additional Finding

I learnt, you should be able to create a new parameter from a query also by right-click on the query and selecting "Convert to Parameter".
I my case, this is greyed out and not available.
Can't figure out why thought.
I have the Dynamic Parameter option checked in the preview menue.
Also double checked the query to make sure the columns of the selected table are of data type TEXT.
I'm at a loss.

JSiebrecht_0-1625147963877.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors