Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CHARLEA1
Frequent Visitor

Power Query Looping Calculation

Hi there, 

I was hoping someone could help me with looping in powerbi.

Logic is as follows - 

I have columns with supervisors as shown - 

powerbi example.jpg 

The custom column collates all the supervisors. 

Currently it is done with simple if statements - 

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Supervisors", each if([Supervisor 3]<>null) then [Supervisor 1] & " , " & [Supervisor 2] & " , " & [Supervisor 3]
else if([Supervisor 2]<>null) then [Supervisor 1] & " , " & [Supervisor 2]
else [Supervisor 1])

The thing is, this table is based off a column supervisor no. that was pivoted. If the database adds in an extra supervisor - i.e. Supervisor 4, when pivoted there will be an extra column and will throw an error with this calculation.

I would like a loop to dynamically calculate this concatenation so that I do not need to go in and manually change the code if there exceeds the amount of existing supervisors. 

Thinking something along the times where there is another custom column specifying number of supervisors then looping through and appending.

Any ideas would be largely appreciated. 

Many Thanks,

Ashling

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Supervisors", each Text.Combine(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,List.Select(Record.FieldNames(_),each Text.StartsWith(_,"Supervisor")))),", "))

this will combine all the columns that starts with Supervisor

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Supervisors", each Text.Combine(Record.ToList(_),","))

Thanks - it is more efficient to be - 

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Supervisors", each Text.Combine({[Supervisor 1],[Supervisor 2],[Supervisor 3]},", "))

although not sure how to pass in those columns dynamically using Record.ToList?

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Supervisors", each Text.Combine(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,List.Select(Record.FieldNames(_),each Text.StartsWith(_,"Supervisor")))),", "))

this will combine all the columns that starts with Supervisor

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors