Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SP3007
Frequent Visitor

Power Query Lookup to another table

Hello, I need some help please!

I need to add a new column to my table. It needs to bring back a value by looking up a column against another table.

ie - column it needs to look upto is: CCA1

The other table with CCA1 is called - Helper_CCA1_Service and the column it needs to bring back is OrgStructServiceID

Im not very technical at all - and was given this code to use - but it just keeps bringing back an error:

= Table.AddColumn(#"5 - Added CCA1 Column", "OrgStructServiceID", each (let CCA1 = [CCA1] in Table.SelectRows(Helper_CCA1_Service, each [CCA1] = CCA1)){0}[OrgStructServID], type number)

SP3007_1-1699527366694.png

Can anyone please help why it keeps coming back with error?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SP3007 

You can change the code to the following.

= Table.AddColumn(#"5 - Added CCA1 Column", "OrgStructServiceID", each List.Min(Table.SelectRows(Helper_CCA1_Service,(x)=>x[CCA1]=[CCA1])[OrgStructServID]))

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SP3007 

You can change the code to the following.

= Table.AddColumn(#"5 - Added CCA1 Column", "OrgStructServiceID", each List.Min(Table.SelectRows(Helper_CCA1_Service,(x)=>x[CCA1]=[CCA1])[OrgStructServID]))

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for this...its now coming back as null rather than error so one step closer!

Hi @SP3007 

Can you send a little bit of the sample data in the two tables, because if the data IDs in the two tables are the same, it should not return a null value

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Your solution worked! Thank you. My data was wrong.

Thank you

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Use the GUI to do a merge. It walks you through it pretty well. Code by hand as a last resort unless you're comfortable self-describing as "a coder."

SP3007
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response - as mentioned im not techy at all so can't see the difference with what you've suggested compared to what I originally pasted? 

@SP3007 I removed brackets after each and before {0}

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hello, @SP3007 those brackets... Why don't you Table.NestedJoin your table with helper? 

step
  = Table.AddColumn(
    #"5 - Added CCA1 Column",
    "OrgStructServiceID",
    each
      let
        CCA1 = [CCA1]
      in
        Table.SelectRows(
          Helper_CCA1_Service,
          each [CCA1] = CCA1
        ){0}[OrgStructServID],
    type number
  )

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors