Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EdK99
Frequent Visitor

Power Query Expresson.Error for Custom Date Column

Hello,

I built a report in Power BI and in Power Query I have a custom column that gives the date of 2 months after the order date.

the custom column code is: 

if[Order Date] is null then null else Date.AddMonths([Order Date],2)

Now I'm getting this error for some date values and I don't understand what the root of the issue is:

Column on the left is Order Date, column on the right is 2 Months From Order Date

Screenshot_59.png

the error is: 

Expression.Error: The Date value must contain the Date component.
Details:

Could someone please help me figure this out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @EdK99 ,

My initial guess would be that your [Order Date] column is not formatted as Date Type.

Select the query step BEFORE you add your custom column. Select your [Order Date] column and, at the top of the column, click the icon at the left of the column header. Select Date as the type, so the icon changes to the little calendar you can see in my screenshot:

BA_Pete_0-1673943085901.png

If this doesn't work then it probably means Power Query can't parse your dates properly, so we'll have to fix that next.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @EdK99 ,

My initial guess would be that your [Order Date] column is not formatted as Date Type.

Select the query step BEFORE you add your custom column. Select your [Order Date] column and, at the top of the column, click the icon at the left of the column header. Select Date as the type, so the icon changes to the little calendar you can see in my screenshot:

BA_Pete_0-1673943085901.png

If this doesn't work then it probably means Power Query can't parse your dates properly, so we'll have to fix that next.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

EdK99
Frequent Visitor

That worked! I didn't pay attention to the order of steps in my power query. I changed the type in the step prior to the custom column and it removed the error.

Thanks a lot!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors