Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

banquovsky
Frequent Visitor

Power BI refresh stuck after Sort query

Hi Community,

I am experiencing an issue with model refresh. I have a connection to a DataFlow, and everything works fine with the DataFlow and queries until I apply a Sort query.

Once I apply sorting in the Query Editor, I click "Close and Apply" as usual, and the refresh starts. However, after some time, it gets stuck with no further response, just displaying "refreshing". I left it overnight, but there were no results. It seems like it attempted to refresh all the data (approximately 4.7GB) but couldn't complete the process.

Is it possible to find out the reason behind this issue? Is there any way to access logs or other information?

Here is an example of the code:

"

#"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"Task", Order.Ascending}, {"SLA respect", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Removed Duplicates1" = Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows1", {"Task"}),

"

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @banquovsky ,

Sorting rows is a 'whole table' operation i.e. it requires PQ to load the entire query into memory to perform.

My guess is that you are hitting a resource limit when trying to apply the query to the model. This is usually due to a shortage of RAM and/or due to using the 32-bit version of PBI Desktop

Options:

-- Delete the Sort step from your query

-- Ensure you use the 64-bit version of PBI Desktop

-- Beef up your machine (and gateway) RAM. I find 48GB+ runs almost anything.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @banquovsky ,

Sorting rows is a 'whole table' operation i.e. it requires PQ to load the entire query into memory to perform.

My guess is that you are hitting a resource limit when trying to apply the query to the model. This is usually due to a shortage of RAM and/or due to using the 32-bit version of PBI Desktop

Options:

-- Delete the Sort step from your query

-- Ensure you use the 64-bit version of PBI Desktop

-- Beef up your machine (and gateway) RAM. I find 48GB+ runs almost anything.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi BA_Pete,

Thank you for your advice. I upgraded the RAM on my machine from 16GB to 32GB, and the model refreshed in 40 minutes. It is working fine now. Thanks again!

Cool, glad it's sorted.

Don't forget to give a thumbs-up to any answers that have helped you along the way 👍

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors