Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

juraj_slatina_a

Power BI connection to excel stopped working

Hi All,

I haven't found topic about excel datamodel connected to power BI datasource not refreshing, there is no error message, connected to excel through get data->from power platform->from power BI

The connection is working when I create a new from scratch in blank excel sheet but the old  pivot table views I created couple of weeks ago are not refreshing, they are unusable as I am not able to filter anymore.

Has anyone else having the same issue recently? IT department already tried to update the libraries but no change. office 365

Its strange that new connection works only for a few hours as when I try to play with it the next day it doesn't answer as the old connection

Thx for any advice.

Juraj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To anyone else having the same issue i found the reason and managed to fix it.

Somehow (probably due to long time of olap cube refreshing) the excel disabled external data connections in the trust center.

I enabled it and it started to work again.

Its resolved now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
juraj_slatina_a

Yes, connecting data from power BI with excel, yes i checked and data in power BI are refreshed successfully.

I probably use access token, but before it worked seamlessly, was there any change in excel/power bi within some updates? Definitely its a good tip for investigation

Is there a way how to dismiss the expiration period?

Thanks

Juraj

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @juraj_slatina_a ,

You're connecting data from Power BI with Excel and then it's not refreshed successfully, is it?

If Excel's connection to Power BI is fine, have you checked if the data in Power BI refreshed successfully?

Its strange that new connection works only for a few hours as when I try to play with it the next day it doesn't answer as the old connection

Do you use Rest API for the problem you mentioned above? If an access token is used, note that an acess token will get expired after 1 hour.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

To anyone else having the same issue i found the reason and managed to fix it.

Somehow (probably due to long time of olap cube refreshing) the excel disabled external data connections in the trust center.

I enabled it and it started to work again.

Its resolved now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors