Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Saveesh

Populate columns - Start time & End Time based on the previous rows end time duration

Hi Team,

I am new to Power BI and am currently, working on a Power BI report, where I wanted to create a column - Start date & time based on a given start time, priority, and order from my data table.

I would need to copy the given start time to the first row which has the priority & order 1. 

1. I am able to do this by having a dynamic table and copying the given start time value from there using the below code 

table definition : 
_startTimetbl =
FIRSTNONBLANK(DraftSource_SartTime[START TIME (24hr)],TRUE())

2. First start time calculation :  
startTime = 
IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_Prioritytbl[Priority] , 1 ) && _Prioritytbl[Order] = 1 , FIRSTNONBLANK(_startTimetbl[DR START TIME],true()))

For the other priorities, when I am writing the logic getting a circular dependency error. 

Sample code tried : 

PrevValue =
CALCULATE (
   SUM ( _Prioritytbl[endTime] ),
   FILTER (
      _Prioritytbl,
      _Prioritytbl[Index]
           = EARLIER ( _Prioritytbl[Index] ) - 1
           && _Prioritytbl[Priority] = EARLIER ( _Prioritytbl[Priority] )
    )
)

Below is the calculation expected result. 
 Saveesh_1-1686591908552.png

Any help will be highly appreciable. 

Regards,

Saveesh.S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZDNCoAgEIRfRTwnrK729xTdo1N5DoLeP9d2oVI6DCzDt7OO86ynY1/jdh5RWd1okQOHBoJxoCyMAGSHwk/W0jwj3H+ELyP8NwL/IxAKP1nvCC/rSTTSygcJjOCNYAVpGfE30laQjo9YPhRKpGeEpPLT8/CGBgaQIVulcg/5HsKGKiW15CLXXy4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Procedure " = _t, Priority = _t, Order = _t, #"Start time" = _t, #"Duration(Minutes)" = _t, #"End time" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Procedure ", type text}, {"Priority", Int64.Type}, {"Order", Int64.Type}, {"Start time", type datetime}, {"Duration(Minutes)", Int64.Type}, {"End time", type datetime}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Priority] = 1) and ([Order] = 1)),
    Correction = List.Sum(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Duration(Minutes)"])-List.Max(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Duration(Minutes)"]),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Priority", Order.Ascending}, {"Order", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    st = #"Added Index"{0}[Start time],
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Index",each [Start time],each if [Start time] = st then st else st + #duration(0,0,List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index",(k)=>k[Index]<[Index])[#"Duration(Minutes)"])-Correction,0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Start time"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each [End time],each [Start time] + #duration(0,0,[#"Duration(Minutes)"],0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"End time"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Start time", type datetime}, {"End time", type datetime}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"Procedure ", "Priority", "Order", "Start time", "Duration(Minutes)", "End time"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Saveesh_S
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help.

I would need this data to be represented in a gnat chart and as it is time bounded it not working as expected. Do you have any suggestion on the visuals? 

Saveesh_S
Frequent Visitor

This is the sample table created and manually done the calcluation.

Here Procedure  1 , 2 & 3 has the same time because it has the Priority & Order 1 and it is the starting of the calculation. 

For the Procedure 4 - Start time =  Procedure with ourder 1's  Strat time + Max ( Procedure with order 1's Duratoin )
This must continue for all the row items based on the priority and order. 
End time = Start time + Duration(Minutes)

Procedure PriorityOrderStart timeDuration(Minutes)End time
Procedure 1112023-05-20 10:00152023-05-20 10:15
Procedure 2112023-05-20 10:00452023-05-20 10:45
Procedure 3112023-05-20 10:00302023-05-20 10:30
Procedure 4122023-05-20 10:45102023-05-20 10:55
Procedure 5132023-05-20 10:55302023-05-20 11:25
Procedure 6142023-05-20 11:25602023-05-20 0:25
Procedure 7212023-05-20 0:25152023-05-20 0:40
Procedure 822 20 
Procedure 923 120 
Procedure 1031 90 
Procedure 1132 10 
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data (with sensitive information removed) that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Thanks for the response, I updated the message with table and problem statement. 
Let me know if this works.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZDNCoAgEIRfRTwnrK729xTdo1N5DoLeP9d2oVI6DCzDt7OO86ynY1/jdh5RWd1okQOHBoJxoCyMAGSHwk/W0jwj3H+ELyP8NwL/IxAKP1nvCC/rSTTSygcJjOCNYAVpGfE30laQjo9YPhRKpGeEpPLT8/CGBgaQIVulcg/5HsKGKiW15CLXXy4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Procedure " = _t, Priority = _t, Order = _t, #"Start time" = _t, #"Duration(Minutes)" = _t, #"End time" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Procedure ", type text}, {"Priority", Int64.Type}, {"Order", Int64.Type}, {"Start time", type datetime}, {"Duration(Minutes)", Int64.Type}, {"End time", type datetime}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Priority] = 1) and ([Order] = 1)),
    Correction = List.Sum(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Duration(Minutes)"])-List.Max(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Duration(Minutes)"]),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Priority", Order.Ascending}, {"Order", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    st = #"Added Index"{0}[Start time],
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Index",each [Start time],each if [Start time] = st then st else st + #duration(0,0,List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index",(k)=>k[Index]<[Index])[#"Duration(Minutes)"])-Correction,0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Start time"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each [End time],each [Start time] + #duration(0,0,[#"Duration(Minutes)"],0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"End time"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Start time", type datetime}, {"End time", type datetime}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"Procedure ", "Priority", "Order", "Start time", "Duration(Minutes)", "End time"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Hi Ibendlin,

When I used the above code, it is just copying the pervious value to the new item, it is not calculating the maximum value of the time from the list above the item.

My code looks like this.

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type2", each ([Priority] = 0) and ([Order] = 1)),
Correction = List.Sum(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Expected Time (Mins)"])-List.Max(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Expected Time (Mins)"]),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type2",{{"Priority", Order.Ascending}, {"Order", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
st =#"Added Index"{0}[Start Time],

#"Replaced Value_SS" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Index",each [Start Time],each if [Priority] = 0 and [Order] = 1 then st else null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Start Time"}),

#"Replaced Value_Sam" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value_SS",each [Start Time],each if [Start Time] = st then st else st + #duration(0,0,
List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value_SS",(k)=>k[Index]<[Index])[#"Expected Time (Mins)"])-Correction,0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Start Time"}),

#"Replaced Value_Sam_1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value_Sam",each [End Time],each [Start Time] + #duration(0,0,[#"Expected Time (Mins)"],0),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"End Time"}),

#"Replaced Value_Samxx" = Table.ReplaceValue( #"Replaced Value_Sam_1",each [Start Time],each if [Start Time] = st then st
else List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Replaced Value_Sam_1",(k)=>k[Index]<[Index])[#"Replaced Value_Samxx"])
,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Start Time"})

as said earlier, I need copy the same start time for the the same order items. Kindly help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors