Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Parameterized report with native SQL queries

Hi,

I'm retrieving data from SQL server with a query like:

SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE
WHERE D_ReferenceDate >= 202312

Is there a way to let the Power BI user choose which reference date from which retrieve the data from?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @webportal 

This can be possible with the help of Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop. This feature can let you bind a column field to a query parameter which is used in the M query. The column field can be used in a slicer in the report for report users to switch different values. The M code will then be modified by the slicer selections to send different queries to the data source. 

As the dynamic queries will be affected by the slicer selections, the underlying table must be in DirectQuery mode. There are some considerations and limitations you need to be aware of, please read Considerations and limitations section from the linked documentation above. 

Hope this would be helpful. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@dufoq3 

Thanks for your help.

I was thinking about having the Power BI user defining the cutoff date (not Power Query parameters).

Hi @webportal 

This can be possible with the help of Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop. This feature can let you bind a column field to a query parameter which is used in the M query. The column field can be used in a slicer in the report for report users to switch different values. The M code will then be modified by the slicer selections to send different queries to the data source. 

As the dynamic queries will be affected by the slicer selections, the underlying table must be in DirectQuery mode. There are some considerations and limitations you need to be aware of, please read Considerations and limitations section from the linked documentation above. 

Hope this would be helpful. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Power Bi Desktop user can edit parameters, but not a user of published report - maybe there is a way, but not in my knowledge 😉

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi, it is possible. Create new parameter.

dufoq3_0-1715606282089.png

Edit your Source step:

= Odbc.Query("dsn=Your_SQL_Connection", "SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE WHERE D_ReferenceDate >= '" & DateParameter & "'")

Now you can select your parameter in query panel (left) and enter valid value i.e. 202312 etc.

This is how it works with my data:

dufoq3_1-1715606521662.png

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors