Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ljaos67
Frequent Visitor

Pagination with List.Generate, however issues when implementing with empty tables

Hello everyone. 

So I am trying to implement pagination with List.Generate with data from an API. The issue comes from there is no data for a specific GET request. What I want to do is print the headers with an empty table, but instead the output is an endless loop of empty rows. Here is my code:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RetrieveAPManualChequeRet Function

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Page as number)=>
let
Source = CustomCmicConnector.Feed("https://mobile.cmicr12.com/cmicprod/ap-rest-api/rest/1/manualcheck?offset="&Number.ToText(Page)),
RetrieveAPManualCheque1 = Record.ToTable(Source),
Value = RetrieveAPManualCheque1{0}[Value],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"PaObjectOraseq", "PaCompCode", "PaChqCompCode", "PaChqSeqNum", "PaCurcFactorNum", "PaVouCurcFactorNum", "PaVenCode", "PaPayCurrCode", "PaCurrCode", "PaDraftCode", "PaSelCode", "PaChqNum", "PaPayCurrAmt", "PaPayeeSeq", "PaBchNum", "PaAmt", "PaOldAmt", "Pa1099Code", "PaVouInvCode", "PaVouNum", "PaChqHandleCode", "PaDiscAmt", "PaGlFactorNum", "PaChqObjectOraseq", "PaVouPayCode", "PaVouInvDate", "PaVouDesc", "PaVouInvOutstandAmt", "PaVouHldbkAmt", "PaVouInvAmt", "DiscriminatorCode"}, {"PaObjectOraseq", "PaCompCode", "PaChqCompCode", "PaChqSeqNum", "PaCurcFactorNum", "PaVouCurcFactorNum", "PaVenCode", "PaPayCurrCode", "PaCurrCode", "PaDraftCode", "PaSelCode", "PaChqNum", "PaPayCurrAmt", "PaPayeeSeq", "PaBchNum", "PaAmt", "PaOldAmt", "Pa1099Code", "PaVouInvCode", "PaVouNum", "PaChqHandleCode", "PaDiscAmt", "PaGlFactorNum", "PaChqObjectOraseq", "PaVouPayCode", "PaVouInvDate", "PaVouDesc", "PaVouInvOutstandAmt", "PaVouHldbkAmt", "PaVouInvAmt", "DiscriminatorCode"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main query

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(url as text) as table =>
let
num = Record.ToTable(CustomCmicConnector.Feed(url & "/ap-rest-api/rest/1/manualcheck")){1}[Value],
Query2 = List.Generate(()=>
[Result = try RetrieveAPManualChequeRet(0) otherwise null, Page = 0],
each [Result]<>null,
each [Result = try RetrieveAPManualChequeRet([Page] + num) otherwise null, Page = [Page]+num],
each[Result]),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Query2, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"PaObjectOraseq", "PaCompCode", "PaChqCompCode", "PaChqSeqNum", "PaCurcFactorNum", "PaVouCurcFactorNum", "PaVenCode", "PaPayCurrCode", "PaCurrCode", "PaDraftCode", "PaSelCode", "PaChqNum", "PaPayCurrAmt", "PaPayeeSeq", "PaBchNum", "PaAmt", "PaOldAmt", "Pa1099Code", "PaVouInvCode", "PaVouNum", "PaChqHandleCode", "PaDiscAmt", "PaGlFactorNum", "PaChqObjectOraseq", "PaVouPayCode", "PaVouInvDate", "PaVouDesc", "PaVouInvOutstandAmt", "PaVouHldbkAmt", "PaVouInvAmt", "DiscriminatorCode"}, {"PaObjectOraseq", "PaCompCode", "PaChqCompCode", "PaChqSeqNum", "PaCurcFactorNum", "PaVouCurcFactorNum", "PaVenCode", "PaPayCurrCode", "PaCurrCode", "PaDraftCode", "PaSelCode", "PaChqNum", "PaPayCurrAmt", "PaPayeeSeq", "PaBchNum", "PaAmt", "PaOldAmt", "Pa1099Code", "PaVouInvCode", "PaVouNum", "PaChqHandleCode", "PaDiscAmt", "PaGlFactorNum", "PaChqObjectOraseq", "PaVouPayCode", "PaVouInvDate", "PaVouDesc", "PaVouInvOutstandAmt", "PaVouHldbkAmt", "PaVouInvAmt", "DiscriminatorCode"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @ljaos67 ,
to me this looks as if the [Result] actually never gets null, so you might need to find a different function for the continue-parameter.
But in order to determine what is actually going on, you could add a counter-limit to the parameter first and then check the result of the current/latest iteration like so:

let
num = Record.ToTable(CustomCmicConnector.Feed(url & "/ap-rest-api/rest/1/manualcheck")){1}[Value],
each [Result]<>null and [Page] < 100, // or whatever number falls into that range
each [Result = try RetrieveAPManualChequeRet([Page] + num) otherwise null, Page = [Page]+num],
each[Result]),
#"Converted to Table" =...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @ljaos67 ,
sorry, but I cannot make sense of it.
So hopefully someone else will pick this up.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ljaos67
Frequent Visitor

Hello, you were actually right. I had to look at the continue statement and I was able to figure out where the issue was. Thanks!

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @ljaos67 ,
to me this looks as if the [Result] actually never gets null, so you might need to find a different function for the continue-parameter.
But in order to determine what is actually going on, you could add a counter-limit to the parameter first and then check the result of the current/latest iteration like so:

let
each [Result]<>null and [Page] < 100, // or whatever number falls into that range
each[Result]),
#"Converted to Table" =...

ljaos67
Frequent Visitor

For GET requests that contain at least one record and that have many pages, this function works. The function only doesn't work for tables that don't contain any data at all. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors