Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amirthaP
Frequent Visitor

Optimizing and fast refresh of data connected from athena

Hi all,
I'm looking for methods to improvise the speed of refresh and querying when powerbi data source connection to AWS Athena which has few queries.
It'd be really helpful if any optimization methods used in practice could be suggested 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry, I just updated my previous answer around this.

If you want the fastest reponse time in a report, you should use IMPORT mode to bring your data into Power Query, rather than using DIRECT QUERY.

If your ODBC connector is operating in a Direct Query way, then you'll have to wait for communication and processing with the server every time you update your visuals (slicers, interactive filtering etc.).

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amirthaP
Frequent Visitor

Hi pete,

Due to IP constraints I can't share details, but Lemme give the scenario, I have bunch of measures around 15, and no calculated columns, I pushed all those to SQL, and 4 views in athena when I run the performance analyzer I get the following:

amirthaP_0-1689255564268.png

maybe due to too any visuals also? idk

I have connected to athena using odbc and I'm not sure the refresh time is inclusive of running athena query as well?

Ok, so the example you have there looks fine i.e. the DAX query is only 20ms, it's the 'Other' part that's making it feel slow for you.

This 'Other' time is usually due to queueing, so check the DAX Query times on all of the visuals and, if there's any that are significantly higher than the others, or over about 150-200ms, then look to optimise the measure(s) in those visuals.

If you're running the ODBC connector in Direct Query mode, then these times will include the communication with, and materialisation of, views etc. If you use import mode this will not be included.

You can also reduce the number of visuals on your report page. The more that have to load, the more queueing is required.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

ok, I'll look into those measures, also If there;s any solution at source as well? 

would storing the query results to s3 and then connecting to powerbi a better way?

any heads up on that?

Sorry, I just updated my previous answer around this.

If you want the fastest reponse time in a report, you should use IMPORT mode to bring your data into Power Query, rather than using DIRECT QUERY.

If your ODBC connector is operating in a Direct Query way, then you'll have to wait for communication and processing with the server every time you update your visuals (slicers, interactive filtering etc.).

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @amirthaP ,

This question is way too big.

If you can provide examples of queries and M code that you think are running too slow, we can look at specifically speeding those up.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors