Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kyon84
Regular Visitor

New rows with inhereted values

Hello,

got table 

PeriodEntityValue
NOV 2020Entity 120
DEC 2020Entity 1

JAN 2021Entity 1 

Now I want to insert row for every period with same value but different entity, so my table looks like this:

PeriodEntityValue
NOV 2020Entity 120
NOV 2020Entity 220
DEC 2020Entity 1

DEC 2020Entity 2

JAN 2021Entity 1 

JAN 2021Entity 2 

Is it something I have to do in query editor or just through new measure after data load?

Basically what I really need is to present in visual "Entity 2" with same values as "Entity 1"  for multiple preiods.

Any ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

If you just want the data table twice as large @kyon84 with Entity 1 being replaced by Entity 2 in the rest of the data, see this code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8vMPUzAyMDJQ0lFyzSvJLKlUMAQygfxYnWglF1dnLJLGEEkvRz+QpCGSpAJIq6lSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Period = _t, Entity = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"Entity 1","Entity 2",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Entity"}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Source, #"Replaced Value"})
in
    #"Appended Query"

The source line is your original data.

Then I replace Entity 1 with Entity 2

Then I append Entity 1 (going back to the source line) with the Replaced Value step. It returns this:

edhans_0-1614039099221.png

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

only as exercise

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8vMPUzAyMDJQ0lFyzSvJLKlUMAQygfxYnWglF1dnLJLGEEkvRz+QpCGaTlOl2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Period = _t, Entity = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(Origine, {"Period", "Value"}, {{"ent", each let last=Text.From(Number.From(Text.End(List.Last(_[Entity]),1))+1) in _[Entity]&{"Entity "&last}}}),
    #"Tabella ent espansa" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Raggruppate righe", "ent")
in
    #"Tabella ent espansa"

just as an exercise, in case the problem is slightly more general ...  

edhans
Super User
Super User

If you just want the data table twice as large @kyon84 with Entity 1 being replaced by Entity 2 in the rest of the data, see this code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8vMPUzAyMDJQ0lFyzSvJLKlUMAQygfxYnWglF1dnLJLGEEkvRz+QpCGSpAJIq6lSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Period = _t, Entity = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"Entity 1","Entity 2",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Entity"}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Source, #"Replaced Value"})
in
    #"Appended Query"

The source line is your original data.

Then I replace Entity 1 with Entity 2

Then I append Entity 1 (going back to the source line) with the Replaced Value step. It returns this:

edhans_0-1614039099221.png

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors