Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JacoGrobbelaar

Multiple Dynamic List Filters slowing down Power Query

Hi All,

I want to filter my data in PQ based on multiple criteria with multiple lists.
I achieved this, but my query slowed down a lot. (Before, 1.5mins(Based on 1 criteria with multiple lists, now almost 45mins)

I read in the forum about "List.Buffer", but seeing that my list is dynamic, the query will need to take in new filter criteria anyway. Unless I can be corrected?

Am I using the right logic in the below query?

1. Query

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each [InvoiceDate] >= Start2 and [InvoiceDate] <= End2),
#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each (List.Contains(LOB_Parameter,[LOB])=true)),
#"Filtered Rows3" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows2", each (List.Contains(P_Region, [Branch])=true)),
#"Filtered Rows4" = if List.IsEmpty(P_SP)=false then #"Filtered Rows3" else Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows3", each (List.Contains(P_SP,[Salesperson])=true)),
#"Filtered Rows5" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows4", each ([TrnYear] <> #"End2 Year"+1)),

2. Dynamic lists input in excel, List in PQ

JacoGrobbelaar_0-1648714792938.png

// I will add the "Department List" to the query when I can get a solution on the speed of list.contains.

A bit of context, a user can select from a dropdown the diferent criteria to filter the Sales database, if user "Blank" out one or all in a list, the filter wont apply to that field.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Yes, you should be buffering by those lists. I would add List.Buffer(List.Distinct(Listname)), ...) to each of your List.Contains expressions, (you can ignore the List.Distinct if you know your list is distinct); so:

#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each (List.Contains(List.Buffer(List.Distinct(LOB_Parameter)),[LOB])=true)),

That should speed things up by a little, or maybe 100X, let us know!

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Now you have 44 minutes left to do whatever you'd like.:)

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Yes, you should be buffering by those lists. I would add List.Buffer(List.Distinct(Listname)), ...) to each of your List.Contains expressions, (you can ignore the List.Distinct if you know your list is distinct); so:

#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each (List.Contains(List.Buffer(List.Distinct(LOB_Parameter)),[LOB])=true)),

That should speed things up by a little, or maybe 100X, let us know!

--Nate

It worked perfectly, thank you so much.

Its quicker than the "One criteria with multiple lists" without the buffer. About 40sec.

Thanks again.
Regards

Thank you, checking it now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

you should try to "cross" the table only once.

try somothing like this.

Check the syntax and the names I tried to interprete.

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each [InvoiceDate] >= Start2 and [InvoiceDate] <= End2 and [LOB]=LOB_Parameter and [Branch]=P_Region and ([Salesperson]=P_SP or [Salesperson]=null) and [TrnYear] <> #"End2 Year"+1) 

an alternative way, perhaps more efficient, is to build a single row table with the fields you want to filter as column names and by value the values read from the Excel tables.
Then you inner join between this filter table and your sales table.
How many rows and columns do your tables have?

PS

I assumed that the user chooses only one of the list options.
If instead you have to take all the lines that have LOB = ABC and LOB = EFG etc ... then you have to use the List.Contains function (LOB_Parameter, [LOB]), but without the need to add "= true": the result of the function is already a boolean.

PPS

The alternative is always to use a filter table with one or more rows and join.
If you provide the example tables, someone will propose you the code

Thanks will try the Cross as well, will let you know, makes sense though.

"an alternative way, perhaps more efficient, is to build a single row table with the fields you want to filter as column names and by value the values read from the Excel tables.
Then you inner join between this filter table and your sales table.
How many rows and columns do your tables have?"
 - I can have a look in this.
 - Depending on the Date range the user enters, but max is 200k rows, with about 10 fields.
 - Also PowerPivot Measures and calculated collumns in the background.

"PPS

The alternative is always to use a filter table with one or more rows and join.
If you provide the example tables, someone will propose you the code"
 - Will do, if the other solutions doesnt work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors