Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cferraz_hemav
Helper I
Helper I

Migration from ODBC to DataFlow - Date hierarchy

Hi all!

We are trying to escale our PowerBI reports because current connectors in physical machines and addressing the refresh to materialized views in PostgreSQL database was causing performance problems in some places.

As a solution we have identified 1/ a first step using DataFlows from our DataWarehouse to decrease the performance needs meanwhile we build a 2/ Glue + Athenea infra.

This message is concerning first step. We have the DataFlows online, desktop reads and we can build 'new' reports based on that data.

However, we have +100 reports that we would like to 'recycle' instead of creating from zero.

In order to solve this the idea was to generate the same tables in DataFlow and then substitute queries in the tables to maintain both relations and measures.

The problem we are facing right now is that we can import data from DataFlow only if we deactivate 'automate date/time' which removes the date hierarchy that is used in most of the measures and, thus, in most of the visualizations. Making the migration much more difficult than the objective.

Is there any trick or workaround to maintain the model relations and measures without having to generate them from zero in all the reports?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cferraz_hemav ,

Instead of relying on the automated date/time hierarchy, you could try creating a custom date table in your DataFlow or Power BI data model. This table should include all the necessary date attributes (such as Year, Quarter, Month, and Day) and any additional time-related attributes you need.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Thanks for your answer...however is not a solution for my problem because doing that I continue losing the measures already in the models.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors