Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jwessel
Helper II
Helper II

Matrix visual shows text values as numeric

I have an Excel spreadsheet where I have the cells in the spreadsheet formatted as "Text".

Additionally, my transformation process for loading the data ensures that the columns for all of these cells are all formatted as text.

A value of one of the cells may be 45%, represented exactly as that.

<Snip from Excel file>

jwessel_0-1694635710068.png

Snip from PowerBI matrix visual

jwessel_1-1694635931773.png

The data loads fine.  However, when I look at the data in the powerBI table it shows as 0 and is also represented on my matrix visual as 0.  If I do NOT include the "%" then 45 shows up in the data table on pbi and also displays on the matrix as 45.

Any thoughts as to how I can force these values to load as text only and include the % symbol or any other symbol which people may input, like $, etc.?

2 REPLIES 2
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jwessel 

Convert it to percentage in desktop, not in power query. it is showing 0 because it is being treated as decimal 0.45 (i assume) try converting it and it will add the % automatically

Hi @mussaenda ,

thanks for the prompt follow-up.  The issue I'm having is that I just want to show the exact literal text value that was entered into the Excel source data.  The data entered into these fields in Excel could be either percentages literals, like "45%" or they could be whole numbers depending on the row item in the source Excel.  I have all my Power BI columns set to Text format and I also have all my Excel cells set to text format as well.  That seems be getting overridden either by Excel or Power BI when the data gets loaded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors