Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jamieneedshelp
Frequent Visitor

Keep text between 2 deliminators- kind of!

Hi All

When importing termstore data to power bi we get lots of unwanted text. Is there any way to just keep Oranges and Apples from the below and remove the rest?

[{"Label":"Oranges","TermID":3fij4h4jkdkddjdj4ndjdke3"},{"Label":"Apples","TermID":3fij4h4jkdkddjdj4ndjdke3"}]

So something like keep text between [{"Label":  and ,"TermID": so desired result would just be Oranges, Apples

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Use the below formula in a custom column (here Text is your column name which you will need to change)

Text.Combine(List.Transform(Text.Split([Text], "},{"), (x)=> Text.Trim(Text.BetweenDelimiters(x, """Label"":", ",""TermID""" ), """")), ", ")

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jamieneedshelp
Frequent Visitor

Thanks all will try these suggestions as see if they work 😁👍

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I would first replace all of the quotes with "~" or any character not appearing in the text, to avoid any text-quote issues. Then you can use Text.BetweenDelimiters, using ":~" and "~,".

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Use the below formula in a custom column (here Text is your column name which you will need to change)

Text.Combine(List.Transform(Text.Split([Text], "},{"), (x)=> Text.Trim(Text.BetweenDelimiters(x, """Label"":", ",""TermID""" ), """")), ", ")
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Jamieneedshelp This is hacky:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wiq6OUfJJTErNiVGyilHyL0rMS08tjlHSiVEKSS3K9XQBChunZWaZZJhkZadkp6RkpWSZ5AHJ7FTjGKVaHRTdjgUFOSRojlWKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",""TermID"":", QuoteStyle.None), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Column1.2", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",{""Label"":", QuoteStyle.None), {"Column1.2.1", "Column1.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Column1.2.1", type text}, {"Column1.2.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Column1.2.1"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Removed Columns","[{""Label"":","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1.1"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","""","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1.1", "Column1.2.2"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{"Column1.1", "Column1.2.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

So basically, Greg just M coded what I wrote in plain text. 😁 

Problem solved. 🎉

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!super-user-logo

Proud to be a Super User!

rubayatyasmin
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jamieneedshelp 

Try splitting it into two cols first then you should have terms and labels column. In label column perform power query transformation, split by delimeter. As delimeter select :" this way you will get Oranges, apples in another column. Remove the other redundant columns as you finish. 

If it's hard to understand provide me some demo data I will upload a pbix for you. 

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!super-user-logo

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors