Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jame5_Blonde2
Helper I
Helper I

Join/Merge based on date between range AND ID (with condition ISNULL, fact.date)

Hi, 

I´ve stumbled upon a perculiar case where I need to JOIN two tables in Power Query between two dates and ID. 

In cases the support table endDate ISNULL i want to refer to the date in Fact = statDate. 

The reason i´m not doing this in SQL is becuse of server issues (fact azure sql server isn´t hosted by us) and I cant join between these two servers.  

The expanded column after merge is regionID and the expected results in Fact table is 

row 1 = regionID 6

row 2 = regionID 7

support table

support table.PNG

fact table 

fact.PNG

Solution SQL 

SQL.PNG

I have no pbix for this yet and just would like some input how this could be possible?

Best, 

Jame5Blonde

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChielFaber
Super User
Super User

I think this is what your looking for (https://exceed.hr/blog/merging-with-date-range-using-power-query/ ). 

In this blog post it's explained how to solve a similar problem. I think you can follow this instructions and get to the solution your looking for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@Jame5_Blonde2  if you have premium capacity - you can bring your data to a datamart that has a SQL end point and you can write fully qualified SQL query on that SQL DB.

If you have Fabric - you have access to SQL, Scala, Apache spark, Python, R  - the options are endless really.

If you don't have any of the above, this is doable using DAX.

For a pure PQ solution @AlexisOlson 

Is there any way, you can please provide a mock-up sample data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
ChielFaber
Super User
Super User

I think this is what your looking for (https://exceed.hr/blog/merging-with-date-range-using-power-query/ ). 

In this blog post it's explained how to solve a similar problem. I think you can follow this instructions and get to the solution your looking for.

This worked liked clockwork big "+" with the optimized version. 

Thanks for a swift reply, I will try out these steps and return to you guys. Much obliged.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors