Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LamboOo

Is there a limitation to expanding columns in Power Query Online?

Is there a limitation to expanding columns in Power Query Online? When I have thousands of columns, it doesn't prompt me for more options, and I only see about a dozen column choices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Here are some of the factors that could be limiting your ability to expand columns in Power Query Online:

1. Data Size: Power Query Online might have difficulty handling very large datasets, causing performance issues or limiting the number of columns you can interact with.

2. Data Privacy Levels: Power Query might limit the number of columns you can expand based on data privacy settings. For example, if the data source contains sensitive data, you might not be able to expand certain columns without applying privacy transformations.

3. User Interface Limitations: The user interface of Power Query Online might not be as feature-rich as the Power Query tool in Power BI Desktop. Therefore, it might not provide the same level of control and options, especially when dealing with a large number of columns.

4. Resource Constraints: The online environment might have resource constraints that limit the number of columns you can expand. This could be due to server limitations or performance considerations.

5. Browser Limitations: Your web browser can also impact the user experience when working with Power Query Online. Some browsers might have limitations in rendering or handling large datasets.

It's important to note that the capabilities and limitations of Power Query Online may change over time as Microsoft continues to update and improve its services. I recommend checking the most recent documentation or contacting Microsoft support for the latest information on the capabilities and limitations of Power Query Online, especially if you are working with large datasets and complex data transformations.

If you are facing limitations with Power Query Online, consider using Power Query in Power BI Desktop or another more specialized data transformation tool if your data manipulation needs are extensive.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Here are some of the factors that could be limiting your ability to expand columns in Power Query Online:

1. Data Size: Power Query Online might have difficulty handling very large datasets, causing performance issues or limiting the number of columns you can interact with.

2. Data Privacy Levels: Power Query might limit the number of columns you can expand based on data privacy settings. For example, if the data source contains sensitive data, you might not be able to expand certain columns without applying privacy transformations.

3. User Interface Limitations: The user interface of Power Query Online might not be as feature-rich as the Power Query tool in Power BI Desktop. Therefore, it might not provide the same level of control and options, especially when dealing with a large number of columns.

4. Resource Constraints: The online environment might have resource constraints that limit the number of columns you can expand. This could be due to server limitations or performance considerations.

5. Browser Limitations: Your web browser can also impact the user experience when working with Power Query Online. Some browsers might have limitations in rendering or handling large datasets.

It's important to note that the capabilities and limitations of Power Query Online may change over time as Microsoft continues to update and improve its services. I recommend checking the most recent documentation or contacting Microsoft support for the latest information on the capabilities and limitations of Power Query Online, especially if you are working with large datasets and complex data transformations.

If you are facing limitations with Power Query Online, consider using Power Query in Power BI Desktop or another more specialized data transformation tool if your data manipulation needs are extensive.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Thank you for your response. Previously, when I expanded dozens of columns, I was prompted with an option to continue loading more. However, this time, when dealing with thousands of columns, I no longer receive that prompt. I suspect it might be a limitation of Power Query Online. I will also reach out to Microsoft customer service to inquire about any related restrictions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors