Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DanFromMontreal
Helper III
Helper III

How to prevent updating previous Query to speed up the REFRESH process

Hello dear community,

I have created a Query (lets call it Query_A) that import data from a CSV file (about 75K lines x 50 columns) and perform a lot of heavy duty / time consuming transformation on several columns.

This Query in later used in other Queries (Query_B, Query_C, Query_D) to perform some lighter transformation / calculation.

My understanding is that when I request an update to Query_B, which uses Query_A, it will have to update Query_A before performing the update of Query_B.

Since it is taking more than 5 minutes to refresh Query_A, is there a clever way to SKIP that part ???

This would save me a lot of time ....

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
DanFromMontreal
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you @SpartaBI but my knowkedge of Power Query is limited.

I have read some of the concept but I will need to read it again.

But for now, I need a quick solution.

I think I will copy-paste the 5 minute transformation query into a new table and have Query_B, C and D and refer to it.  This shouild accelerate the process thus NOT optimal

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DanFromMontreal,

You can move the calculation of Query_A to a dedicated dataflow, and then use the dataflow as a datasource for your model.

You can use Power Automate to sync the refreshes. See here.

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Full-Logo11.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors