Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

domtrump
Helper I
Helper I

Get Data from Folder on SharePoint - tied to User

We used Get Data from Folder. The folder lives on SharePoint. My whole team has access to that folder on SharePoint. However, if a different user tries to refresh the query, we get the error:

An error occurred in the ‘Sample File’ query. DataSource.NotFound: File or Folder: We couldn't find the folder 'C:\Users\<user1>\<organization>\BI Team\Acquisition\Project\RawData\*'.
Details:
C:\Users\<user1>\<organization>\BI Team\Acquisition\Project\RawData\*

First, what is 'Sample File'? Not something we created. Second, ALL my team members need to be able to open this Excel file at any time and refresh the data. Why is it tied to <user1> ? How can we correct this or set it up differently so that it can be refreshed by any member of my team (or any other user who has access to that SharePoint folder)?

Here is a screenshot of this whole 'Sample Query' thing:

domtrump_0-1711130573568.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Henderson878

Use the sharepoint file connector instead of the file:

Henderson878_0-1711136647841.png

The error comes because the query path uses your local drive to pull through the sharepoint.

The smple file you can select out of the folder and edit to the format you need it in prior to mearging all the files. Select just one of the files you are trying to merge to show it what to look for.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

I would have them try to go to the URL it's having the issue with in a browser and see if they actually do have access. The sample query is kind of like the template it uses to understand the data structure - so it looks at that one and then uses that structure to expand the rest of the files in the query. It's normal for it to be there, but the person will need read access to the file to run the refresh. 

SharePoint permissions are weird, what could have happened is someone shared via a sharing link, which actually doesn't grant access to the files, it just gives you access via that specific generated URL (and that type of sharing link doesn't work for these queries, it uses the literal path). So, have them try the link it's complaining about, and if they get a permission error on that go in and share the folder... but instead of using a sharing link go to the advanced options and actually grant them read access there - usually it's in the ellipsis menu in the share window. OR just add them to the site visitors group for access to the whole site, with the SharePoint stuff it's better to not try to micromanage the permissions if you can avoid it.

Henderson878

Use the sharepoint file connector instead of the file:

Henderson878_0-1711136647841.png

The error comes because the query path uses your local drive to pull through the sharepoint.

The smple file you can select out of the folder and edit to the format you need it in prior to mearging all the files. Select just one of the files you are trying to merge to show it what to look for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors