Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Harpreet1405_12
Helper II
Helper II

Extracting Data from a protected website

Hello

I am looking for a way to extract the data from the web application page which looks like as shown below. I tried to connect it by copying pasting the link but it is giving me an error "the WWW-Authenticate header doesn't contain a valid authorization URL, Header Value:;negotiate,NLTM". Even though i am working in the organiztaion and have access to all the data and everything,, i do not want to just copy paste the data into excels and presnet into power bi desktop. Is there a way to resolve this error or any other approach of accessing the information.

Here is the screenshot of the web page which i am trying to get information from and it has multiple filters and historical information by year which i need to retrieve. can someboday please work with me to solve this issue, I am struggling.

Harpreet1405_12_0-1713549998038.png

5 REPLIES 5
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Harpreet1405_12 ,

First, for the connection type, are you using Web?  I am assuming so, but just confirming.

Second, based on your screenshot, I don't think that a URL will do the trick unless you have the full URL.  This appears to be an embedded app and the output is based on the options that are selected.  So, I don't think the url that we see in the screenshot will be the right URL.  I am thinking that you would have to review the embedded bit and find the documentation for that program to determine if you can recreate the option selections in a URL.  In my experience, it is easier to recreate the report in Power BI from the original data source than to try and get dynamic output from that report.  Or, if you want a specific report that this is producing - can you have it automatically export it to a folder location or an email and then use that output?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

hi @collinq , I am using web and this URL has the web form created in asp.net language and this web form has multiple fields or drop downs , i am working on extracting all the tables , fields everything (historical data) by creating a live connection between them.

Hi @Harpreet1405_12 ,

I think that the best method is going to get the data out of the system that is producing this web page.  This is output from those tables and is put together but I think it would be very difficult to try and get the data out of what you are looking at based on the screenshot.  

You will need to find the underlying tables (based on the screenshot - the ones in the SIS system itself) and then you can put together this report and other ones yourself quite easily since you will have the original data to link and create slicers from.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you so much @collinq for your time and response... Do you think excel would be the only option to maintain these tables in database?

Hey @Harpreet1405_12 ,

Excel is a great tool for holding unstructured date (or exports of structured data) but it really shouldn't be considered a "database".  I think your best bet is getting to the original data because that is going to the best maintained and current data.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors