Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Extract DateTime from YYYYMMDDHHMMSS

Hi experts!

I have a calumn of that format:

DateTime

Now I would like to transform that into this:

DateTime
31.01.2022 15:29:53
31.01.2022 18:29:53

How is this possible ussing Power Query? 

Since there are a lot of columns with that kind of format I would like to use the solution as a function.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

A possible solution (ignoring those last 4 zeros)

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjIwNDY0NDWyNDU2AAKlWB0kYQsUYQMDDGYsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DateTime = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [DateTime]= "000000" then null else #datetime(Number.From(Text.Start([DateTime], 4)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 4,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 6,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 8,2)),Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 10,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 12,2))), type datetime),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"DateTime"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "DateTime"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@joshua1990 

You could use a function like this and create a custom column using the function to do the conversion, then delete the original column. See it all at work in the attached file.

(input_ as text) => 
if input_= "000000" then null else #datetime(Number.From(Text.Start(input_, 4)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 4,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 6,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 8,2)),Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 10,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 12,2)))

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlB
Super User
Super User

@joshua1990 

You could use a function like this and create a custom column using the function to do the conversion, then delete the original column. See it all at work in the attached file.

(input_ as text) => 
if input_= "000000" then null else #datetime(Number.From(Text.Start(input_, 4)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 4,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 6,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 8,2)),Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 10,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle(input_, 12,2)))

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

A possible solution (ignoring those last 4 zeros)

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjIwNDY0NDWyNDU2AAKlWB0kYQsUYQMDDGYsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DateTime = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [DateTime]= "000000" then null else #datetime(Number.From(Text.Start([DateTime], 4)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 4,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 6,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 8,2)),Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 10,2)), Number.From(Text.Middle([DateTime], 12,2))), type datetime),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"DateTime"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "DateTime"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB : THanks a lot! It works perfectly well. How can I switch this into a individual function / query? I would like to use this functionn for multiple columns

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @joshua1990 

Are the last four zeros to be ignored? If not, please show an example in which those positions are not zero with the expected output

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors