Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Expanding column after left join shuffles values in single column

Hi all, 

I cant figure out what is going on in the case below. Hope somebody can tell me what I might be doing wrong. 

So I merged two tables based on the columns "UOKey" and "RepetitionNr". So far so good, when I check the individual rows, the join was succesfully performed, just as an example, see that row 1 matches up nicely (UOKey and RepNr). All other rows do too. 

image.png

Now when I try to expand the rows, something strange happens. The columns in the row "EVENT_TIME", seem to shuffle for now clear reason. I assume that since I am only expanding, all rows of my UnitOperationStart (The starting table for the join), should remain tied together. But when I expand, see that the event times seem to shuffle, e.g. RepetitionNr 1, for UOKey "EMZ239D1BBRE521625LEGEN" first had event time 06:03:51, after expanding, it has 14:16:31 (see below) .

image.png

I would not expect this to happen. Why doesnt row 1 (or any row with repetition nr 1 and uokey "EMZ239D1BBRE521625LEGEN" still have EVENT_TIME 06:03 and the merged EVENT_TIME.1 of 06:39.38)? 

Please help me, this is driving me bonkers! Thanks in advance

Here is my code from the advanced editor 

let
    Source = UnitOperationStart,
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"BatchID", "Unit", "UnitOperation", "Label"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns", {"UOKey", "RepetitionNr"}, UnitOperationEnd, {"UOKey", "RepetitionNr"}, "UnitOperationEnd", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Queries",{{"EVENT_TIME", type datetime}}),
    #"Expanded UnitOperationEnd" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Changed Type", "UnitOperationEnd", {"EVENT_TIME", "RepetitionNr"}, {"EVENT_TIME.1", "RepetitionNr.1"})
in
    #"Expanded UnitOperationEnd"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just got an ideia...

How about if you Group, Sort and add the index column (those 2 last inside the [Data] column instead of sort / group / index ?

Like:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"UnitOperationKey"}, {{"Data", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{"StartTime"} ), "SequenceNr", 1,1), type table [UnitOperationKey=text, NoOfRepetitionsOfUO=number, StartTime=datetime, BatchID=text, Unit=text, Label=text, UnitOperation=text, SequenceNr=number]}})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just got an ideia...

How about if you Group, Sort and add the index column (those 2 last inside the [Data] column instead of sort / group / index ?

Like:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"UnitOperationKey"}, {{"Data", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{"StartTime"} ), "SequenceNr", 1,1), type table [UnitOperationKey=text, NoOfRepetitionsOfUO=number, StartTime=datetime, BatchID=text, Unit=text, Label=text, UnitOperation=text, SequenceNr=number]}})

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! This worked, but still I wonder why it goes wrong, seems like this is a workaround to a bug or somethign. Anyways, thanks for all the help! 

@Anonymous ,

I'm gonna try to reproduce this situation here.

I let you know if I have progress with it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great. Will mask my data and upload it somewhere tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help! 

@Anonymous ,

Once it's a Power Query situation, please provide a file or import it as inputed values, so we can import it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I  know this post is almost two years old, but I wanted to report that I had the same issue. 

If I filtered the data to get a smaller subset, I didn't have the issue of my original values getting mixed together (not just resorted, but mixed up), but with the full data set, it was a problem. 

I resolved it by expanding and choosing to aggregate the field I wanted, and it worked. This definitely seems like a bug. I am using proprietary data so can't provide an example, but I wanted to report that this does appear to be a bug. 

Is this on the development team's radar as a bug?

Hey man, just went through the same problem and found this topic too. In another communities I found people explaining that when sorting with large number of rows this sorting cannot be reliable for the next steps to take place.

In this topic I found that a Table.buffer with the sorting operation solves this issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/545daa09-56b5-486a-b851-02cff46ea372/expanding-mer...

This has solved my issues. I really hope Microsoft fixes this or at least have a warning or a documentation about sorting operation that explains it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors