Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBinewbie19

Excel Formula to PowerBI Formula (Dates/Network days)

Hi there!

I'm trying to take the following excel formulas and convert them into PowerBI formulas within Power Query Editor. I have created 4 columns in Power Query Editor which will store the following 4 formulas and should generate the results for each row and column. To clarify, all the fields I do have so that is not a problem. Please see Excel formulas below that I want to change into PowerBI formulas, needed to be inserted into the space below (in screenshot):

1. =IF([@[Start Date]],NETWORKDAYS([@[Date reported]],[@[Start Date]]),"")

2. =IF([@[Completed Date]],NETWORKDAYS([@[Date reported]],[@[Completed Date]]),"WIP")

3. =VLOOKUP([@[Request Type]],'SLA baseline'!A:B,2,FALSE)

4. =IF(ISBLANK([@[Completed Date]]),TODAY()-[@[Date reported]],"DONE")

5. =IF(ISBLANK([@[Completed Date]]),"WIP",IF([@[SLA baseline]]>=[@[Resolution Time (Days)]],"Yes","No"))

**How do I change "NETWORKDAYS" into a PowerBI formula**

PowerBinewbie19_0-1706280977702.png

My Goal: I'm trying to take manual excel formulas and automate them through PowerBI so monthly, we can receive the correct information. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerBinewbie19

My solution was just to watch youtube videos to help learn about the formulas. Understand the formulas and it helps gain a better understanding. Watch the videos below to help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ic432NvhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_yIKonqO7o

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PowerBinewbie19

My solution was just to watch youtube videos to help learn about the formulas. Understand the formulas and it helps gain a better understanding. Watch the videos below to help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ic432NvhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_yIKonqO7o

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

You can count working days between 2 dates also this way:

Used sample holidays (you can refer your Holidays table or edit 3rd step Holidays in my query)

dufoq3_0-1706353739889.png

Result: Added number or working days between 2 dates (weekends and holidays excluded)

dufoq3_1-1706353791572.png

1st step Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document... --> this is just sample data.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUBSIjAyMTJR0lA3M4J1YnWsnQRNfAEiZnbKBriCxnoWtoBJczhHNiYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Start Date" = _t, #"End Date" = _t]),
    ChangedTypeGB = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start Date", type date}, {"End Date", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    Holidays = #table(type table[Holiday Date = date], {{#date(2024,1,1)}, {#date(2024,1,6)}, {#date(2024,9,15)}, {#date(2024,11,1)}, {#date(2024,11,17)}, {#date(2024,12,24)}, {#date(2024,12,25)}, {#date(2024,12,26)}}),
    StepBack = ChangedTypeGB,
    Ad_WorkingDays = Table.AddColumn(StepBack, "Working Days", each List.Count(List.Select(List.Difference(List.Transform({Number.From([Start Date])..Number.From([End Date])}, Date.From), Holidays[Holiday Date]), each Date.DayOfWeek(_, Day.Monday) < 5)), Int64.Type)
in
    Ad_WorkingDays

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day PowerBinewbie19,

I'm not sure if you were asking how to translate all the formulae or if it was specifically NETWORKDAYS you needed an answer on. My reply is specifically on NETWORKSDAYS. If you wish for an equivalent of Excel NETWORKDAYS in Power Query then Imke has a solution here.

Hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors