Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mathias1998
Frequent Visitor

Duplicated rows at the bottom of a merged and expanded query

Hi all, 

I am trying to make a new table that contains the following columns: 

- Dates (a calendar column from the "Calendar" table) 

- Id (just a bunch of IDs from the "Deliverable" table) 

- Approval Planned (dates from the "Deliverable" table) 

- Approval Actual (dates from the "Deliverable" table) 

Note that all rows in the "Deliverable" table contains an ID, but not necessarily dates in the "Approval Planned" and "Approval Actual" columns. 

I have matched the columns "Dates" (from "Calendar" table) and "Approval Planned" (from "Deliverable" table), by using the "Left Outer" Join Kind. Afterwards, I expanded the new column called "Deliverable" as this was a table - and included only "Id", "Approval Planned", and "Approval Actual". 

This creates the below result in the Query Editor, which is exactly what I want: A lot of rows with only the date column filled out, with only rows with a "Planned Approval" value showing up in the other columns. 

mathias1998_0-1666171555474.png

So far so good. I close the query editor and go back to my report. 

And that is when the problem emerges. When I view the table in the data view, it looks like this: 

mathias1998_1-1666171926922.png

Now, all the rows with the "Planned Approval" column filled out are duplicated and moved to the bottom of the table. At the same time, they disappear from their original positions. I want it to look like in the Query Editor... 

What am I doing wrong, or is there a way to fix this? Any help is highly appreciated! 😁

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You're not doing anything wrong.  This looks like standard behaviour to me.  I don't see any duplicate rows - I see some rows which have the same approval date.

The order of rows in data view isn't really important - it's controlled by the storage algorithms behind powerbi unless you override it by sorting from the column headers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You're not doing anything wrong.  This looks like standard behaviour to me.  I don't see any duplicate rows - I see some rows which have the same approval date.

The order of rows in data view isn't really important - it's controlled by the storage algorithms behind powerbi unless you override it by sorting from the column headers

Alright, perfect! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors