Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

fabio_abbiati

Date format after Export export

Hi All,

I created some reports using Power BI Desktop where I have some "Date" fields formatted like DD/MM/YYYY:

fabio_abbiati_1-1648448464203.png

When I view in my browser, I see the correct format DD/MM/YYYY:

fabio_abbiati_2-1648448648364.png

But when I export the records in Excel file using "data with current layout", seems that Excel cannot manage as well the date format:

fabio_abbiati_4-1648449027761.png

In cell B2 is see the format MM/DD/YYYY but into formula bar I see the format DD/MM/YYYY.

Could someone explain how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Fabio

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fabio_abbiati ,

Have sumbited this issue internal to confirm it(ICM: 298872918), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @fabio_abbiati ,

Update from PG team:

The date used in the model is the short date that's based on the OS settings, as it as an asterisk. Date time format with an asterisk will reflect the date and time settings of the Operating System. Export to workbook is performed on Power BI Data Service, and the Operating System of the machine hosting the service cannot be the same as the Operating System on Client machines. Therefore Date Time format with an asterisk may give unexpected result. To guarantee the correct format, please use a static format without asterisk

Also, you can try highlighting the cells with date values and right click -> format cells -> pick the format they want.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

In Excel, right click on any cell having the date say B2 - Format cells - Custom - And see whether the date format is set to mm/dd/yyyy here. If you have any other entry there, just remove that. This should correct your problem. 

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fabio_abbiati ,

Have sumbited this issue internal to confirm it(ICM: 298872918), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,

Hi @fabio_abbiati ,

Update from PG team:

The date used in the model is the short date that's based on the OS settings, as it as an asterisk. Date time format with an asterisk will reflect the date and time settings of the Operating System. Export to workbook is performed on Power BI Data Service, and the Operating System of the machine hosting the service cannot be the same as the Operating System on Client machines. Therefore Date Time format with an asterisk may give unexpected result. To guarantee the correct format, please use a static format without asterisk

Also, you can try highlighting the cells with date values and right click -> format cells -> pick the format they want.

Best Regards,

Thank you for this clarification, this is what I need.

Using a "date time format" without asterisk it works correct.

Thanks

Fabio

fabio_abbiati

Windows has correct regional settings:

fabio_abbiati_0-1648455798011.png

The report created with Power BI Desktop has correct regional settings:

fabio_abbiati_1-1648456886723.png

The strange thing is that in Excel I see into the cell the wrong format and into the "formula bar" the correct format.

SanketBhagwat
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @fabio_abbiati .

Check your regional settings.
MM/DD/YYYY fromat is usually designed for countries like US, the Philippines, Palau, Canada, and Micronesia.

All other countries use DD/MM/YYYY format.

If you want your date to be displayed in DD/MM/YYYY format, then change your regional settings.

If this post helps, then mark it as 'Accept as Solution' and give it a thumbs up.

Thanks,
Sanket

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors