Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Contains "th", "st" etc, how to change to date format

Hi, I can't find the code to change a date from "3rd December 2022" to 03/12/2022.  I therefore used multiple wasteful steps below, but I'm sure it's easier than that.  Any help hugely appreciated, thanks

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Custom","w/e ","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Output Table.Time"}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Output Table.Time", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Output Table.Time.1", "Output Table.Time.2", "Output Table.Time.3"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Output Table.Time.1", type text}, {"Output Table.Time.2", type text}, {"Output Table.Time.3", Int64.Type}}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1","st","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Output Table.Time.1"}),
#"Replaced Value2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value1","nd","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Output Table.Time.1"}),
#"Replaced Value3" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value2","rd","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Output Table.Time.1"}),
#"Replaced Value4" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value3","th","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Output Table.Time.1"}),
#"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value4", {{"Output Table.Time.3", type text}}, "en-GB"),{"Output Table.Time.1", "Output Table.Time.2", "Output Table.Time.3"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Bighams Date"),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Bighams Date", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type2"

3 REPLIES 3
hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @Anonymous ,

my appoach would be to extract the digits from the day, then combine the rest with it and let Power Query do the rest of the magic. Such as 

=Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date new",  each 
        Text.Combine({ 
            Text.Select(Text.Start([Date], 2), {"1".."9"}), //selects digits from the first two values
            " ", 
            Text.AfterDelimiter([Date], " ", 0)  //selects everything after the first delimiter " "
            })
            ),
    #"Parsed Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Custom Column", "Parse Date", each Date.From(DateTimeZone.From([Date new])), type date)
in
    #"Parsed Date"

if that helps, please give kudos and accept as solution. 

Best

hashtag_pete

collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day markbighams,

List.Accumulate may be used to reduce the amount of code at the cost of it being a potentially complex function.

The steps are:

1. Bring the data into Power Query.
  2. Add a query step to create a list of suffixes.
  3. Remove the suffixes from the date using List.Accumulate.
    1. The list of suffixes provides the list you iterate through to “accumulate” a result.
    2. The start of the accumulation is the table you brought in to Power Query.
    3. The accumulation runs through the list of suffixes, for each one it finds and replaces it in the “Date” column of the table.
  4. Change the type to date.

I used this data

collinsg_1-1684871132722.png

The result looks like this

collinsg_0-1684871020680.png

My M code is this

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Events"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type text}, {"Location", type text}}),

#"List of Date Suffixes" = {"th","st","nd","rd"},

#"Remove Suffixes" = List.Accumulate(
#"List of Date Suffixes",
#"Changed Type",
(table, suffix) => Table.ReplaceValue( table, suffix, "", Replacer.ReplaceText, {"Date"} )
),
#"Change to Date Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Remove Suffixes",{{"Date", type date}})
in
#"Change to Date Type"

Hope that helps. I adapted the code from a solution to a similar problem by Data Zoe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, I'll try this today

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors