Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rlymer
Regular Visitor

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value

Hi,

I have a Dataflow that has been working for nearly a year now, but is now throwing the error "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.

Details: 2021-10-21T11:57:06+13:00"

I'm guessing the service that I am pulling the data from has changed how they are displaying it. How can I change the above format to a DateTime as this was working previously?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

That is a DateTimeZone format. You will need to use DateTimeZone for the field type, then click on Change Type again and change to DateTime and make sure it adds a step, not replaces.

You will have two change type steps. 

edhans_0-1678238020896.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtQ1NNA1MgwxNLQyNbcyMNM2NLYyMFCKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type datetimezone}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", type datetime}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Prakharlive

1. Try the following on the "Transform Data"

Transform > Text Column > Extract > "Put the number of characters to be extracted."

2. Convert the new text into Date and Time format.

Solves the problem pretty easily.

Julieann

Suggested solution: That is a DateTimeZone format. You will need to use DateTimeZone for the field type, then click on Change Type again and change to DateTime and make sure it adds a step, not replaces.

The suggested solution to fix this problem seems to be not working on my dataset. 

Julieann_0-1691115217773.png

Are there alternation options to possibly fix this error?? Thank you!

SHeRA42

I was having the same issue with a new column I added and this fixed it. Thanks!

edhans
Super User
Super User

That is a DateTimeZone format. You will need to use DateTimeZone for the field type, then click on Change Type again and change to DateTime and make sure it adds a step, not replaces.

You will have two change type steps. 

edhans_0-1678238020896.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtQ1NNA1MgwxNLQyNbcyMNM2NLYyMFCKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type datetimezone}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", type datetime}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans,

Thank you for your response.

Simply changing them to datetimezone instead of datetime seemed to solve this issue.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors