Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Data Transformation Help

Hello,

I am new to Power Query and need a little help. Below are two tables with the first represententing how my data is currently structured, and the second representing how I need to to be transformed. I know that I can create separate tables for each pair (one for A, one for B, etc.), and then append them all together at the end with the matching columns. However, I wanted to see if there is a more efficient way to do it? 

Name

A-K

A-E

B-K

B-E

C-K

C-E

D-K

D-E

Tyler

Sarah

Lara

Jimmy

Name

“Attribute”

K

E

Tyler

A

Sarah

A

Lara

A

Jimmy

A

Tyler

B

Sarah

B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

See if this is what you need

edhans_0-1643911624327.png

Here is what I did:

Selected the Name column and unpivoted other columns. I get this:

edhans_1-1643911689317.png

I then selected the Attribute column, Transform Ribbon, Split Column by the - character.

edhans_2-1643911729508.png

Change Value column to a number, then I selecgted the Attribute.2 column, and on the transform ribbon, Pivot Column with these settings:

edhans_3-1643911787050.png

You can then rename the columns to what you need them to be.

Full code sample here:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("PY47CoAwEETvsrUENj/JFcROu5AihaCgjZ23dx2TbR6TwJudnGl9zu2mgdiw0IFsRjAIfcsW+ftxVIZMS73rDsMLLehMQk7IQTtsI8OcxcQzojKB//Go+l/Y9QRxOq7r0ZFBR/s2OuqEflwOlhc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, #"A-K" = _t, #"A-E" = _t, #"B-K" = _t, #"B-E" = _t, #"C-K" = _t, #"C-E" = _t, #"D-K" = _t, #"D-E" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Value", Currency.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

See if this is what you need

edhans_0-1643911624327.png

Here is what I did:

Selected the Name column and unpivoted other columns. I get this:

edhans_1-1643911689317.png

I then selected the Attribute column, Transform Ribbon, Split Column by the - character.

edhans_2-1643911729508.png

Change Value column to a number, then I selecgted the Attribute.2 column, and on the transform ribbon, Pivot Column with these settings:

edhans_3-1643911787050.png

You can then rename the columns to what you need them to be.

Full code sample here:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("PY47CoAwEETvsrUENj/JFcROu5AihaCgjZ23dx2TbR6TwJudnGl9zu2mgdiw0IFsRjAIfcsW+ftxVIZMS73rDsMLLehMQk7IQTtsI8OcxcQzojKB//Go+l/Y9QRxOq7r0ZFBR/s2OuqEflwOlhc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, #"A-K" = _t, #"A-E" = _t, #"B-K" = _t, #"B-E" = _t, #"C-K" = _t, #"C-E" = _t, #"D-K" = _t, #"D-E" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Value", Currency.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors