Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

magnuus_DNB
Regular Visitor

Convert a column with both text and table rows into text and combined text string

Hi, 

I am quite new to power query, and I am not able to find a solution to my problem. 

I have a table based on an xml file, and I am trying to expand the file into a table. The issue occurs when I get deep into the file, and one column suddenly consist of both text values and table objects. 

I would like expand the table objects into a string. The table has just one column with mulitple rows, so I would like the new column to combine each row value to a comma separated string. 

magnuus_DNB_0-1712157138350.png

I was able to find a solutions to combine the table values into a string, but I am not able to get it to work. I am thinking this might be due to the rows with text values that does not need to be converted from a table, just added as is to the new column. 

I think I should use some sort og if/else and check the data type, and then only convert table rows into strings and keeping the text values, but I am not able to figure out the syntax to do this operation. 

The XML-file has this structure: 

<kodetillegg>
<virksomhetstype>enkeltpersonforetak</virksomhetstype>
<virksomhetstype>oevrigSelskap</virksomhetstype>
<virksomhetstype>samvirkeforetak</virksomhetstype>
</kodetillegg>

But then I might also get just one type, and it is converted to text. 

<kodetillegg>
<virksomhetstype>oevrigSelskap</virksomhetstype>
</kodetillegg>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use Value.Is to find out what the data type of the cell is, and then handle the contents accordingly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
magnuus_DNB
Regular Visitor

I ended up on this solution. 🙂 

#"Add new column and convert to list" = Table.AddColumn(#"Last step", "Name new column",
each if Value.Type([name original column]) = Value.Type("text") then [name original column]
else Table.ToList([name original column])),

#"Convert list to string" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Add new column and convert to list", {"Name new column",
each if Value.Type(_) = Value.Type("text") then _
else Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text}),

#"Remove old column" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Convert list to string",{"name original column"})

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use Value.Is to find out what the data type of the cell is, and then handle the contents accordingly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors