Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

barakb32
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connect to SAP BW

Hello,

We have acustomer who is interested in connecting Power BI to SAP BW. They checked about it and found out that the connector costs money. I didn't find any reference to cost related to this connector. Is it so?

I also saw that you can build a dataflow that connects to SAP BW. 2 questions about this:

1. Does the online connector requires a paid component (other than Power BI Pro license)?

2. If I prefer to work with Power BI Desktop, can I create a dataflow and then use the dataflow as a source for Power BI Desktop - in order to avoid the need to install additional components on the development computer?

Thanks,

Barak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

No Power BI connector costs money. Just use the SAP Business Warehouse connection. If SAP requires licensing on the back end, then that is between you and your IT department and SAP. But you will need to install additional components. Power BI doesn't have the full connection properties. Many connectors are like this. Oracle is the same way. MS just provides a nice hook for SAP, Oracle, etc. vs requiring a full custom connector.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

No Power BI connector costs money. Just use the SAP Business Warehouse connection. If SAP requires licensing on the back end, then that is between you and your IT department and SAP. But you will need to install additional components. Power BI doesn't have the full connection properties. Many connectors are like this. Oracle is the same way. MS just provides a nice hook for SAP, Oracle, etc. vs requiring a full custom connector.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors