Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lvmoraes
Helper I
Helper I

Connect to External Application - Azure Administration

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a Planning application called Jedox. They have a native connector, but at the description on how to integrate that connector to azure, I get this explanation:

In order to connect to a Power BI instance from Jedox you have to create an application in Azure Active Directory or directly from the this link https://dev.powerbi.com/apps. The application type must be client-native. After completion of this process, the user can see the automatically created Client ID on the same page. The next step is to grant application permissions. This process can only be done by a global Azure administrator or domain members which have required Azure permissions. For more information see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-integrating-applications 
The access token, refresh token and all authentication are handled automatically by the PowerBI connection.

So my main issue here is with the part in blue. Does that mean I need an Azure account? I'm completely lost on that one, any help is very welcome please.

We are running Pro licenses for Power BI.

Kind regards,

Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lydia, thanks for your message. I did, in fact I've opened a case.

It is still not clear to me if I have to buy a whole subscription just to manage my power bi capabilities from Azure. I don't need Azure services, I just need to authorize an external application to access power bi, and the Power Bi tutorials tell me to do it from the azure portal ( which I believe power Bi automatically created for me ). Do I need to buy an azure subscription to administrate my power BI account?

This is what they replied:

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for replying back with the screenshot.

In order to be able to deploy a marketplace service, you may have to sign up for an Azure Subscription under your Account.

Kindly add a Free Trial or a Pay as you go offer type using this link https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/legal/offer-details/

Then use this Subscription to deploy a marketplace service.

I hope the information shared was helpful.

I will be looking forward for your kind response.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Lvmoraes,

The issue is more related to the creation and configuration of Azure Active Directory account, please post the question in the Azure Active Directory forum to get dedicated support.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks,

I have a post there and a case there with Azure as well...

The problem is this is a cross platform issue, so it will be hard to get an Answer. When I ask for Azure help, they ask for my Azure subscription, which I don't have... would be good to know what kind of account I get in Azure when I create a PowerBI account. I'm sure I don't get a subscription...

Do you know what kind of account azure created for me when I created the powerBI account?

Thanks

Lucas

@Lvmoraes,

Please review the following article about how to add Azure subscription to your account which is used to sign in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-how-subscriptions-associate...

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you !

Bur the problem is I don't have an azure subscription.

All I have is what power BI created for me....  But I can't administrate as I don't have that subscription. So I'm a bit confused... shouldn't Power BI at least give me all the privileges so I can administrate my Azure portal for Power BI wthout a subscrition?

Thanks

Lucas

@Lvmoraes,

Power BI will not provide you subscription for Azure. Please post the question in Azure Active Directory forum to get dedicated support.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, thanks for your message. I did, in fact I've opened a case.

It is still not clear to me if I have to buy a whole subscription just to manage my power bi capabilities from Azure. I don't need Azure services, I just need to authorize an external application to access power bi, and the Power Bi tutorials tell me to do it from the azure portal ( which I believe power Bi automatically created for me ). Do I need to buy an azure subscription to administrate my power BI account?

This is what they replied:

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for replying back with the screenshot.

In order to be able to deploy a marketplace service, you may have to sign up for an Azure Subscription under your Account.

Kindly add a Free Trial or a Pay as you go offer type using this link https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/legal/offer-details/

Then use this Subscription to deploy a marketplace service.

I hope the information shared was helpful.

I will be looking forward for your kind response.

Best Regards,

Lvmoraes
Helper I
Helper I

Ok, I could follow these steps and sort it:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-register-app/

now I'm getting a different problem:

{"errorCode":"Authorization_RequestDenied","localizedErrorDetails":{"errorDetail":"Jedox is requesting permissions, which you are not authorized to grant. Contact your administrator, who can grant permissions to this application on your behalf."},"

How is that possible? I think I sould be the Administrator of my own account?

Thanks

Lucas

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors