Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KENNEU
Regular Visitor

Column of many values to a single comma separated string

I'm trying to collapse a single column of data into a comma separated string in power querty.  I can do it with group by if first get a count (they are all ones as they are all unique values) but it adds extra steps that slow things down.  I'm assuming I can get there from here with a single custom column.  Essentially:

System Name

ABC123

2345XYZ

To:

ABC123 , 12345 , 2345XYZ

I'm doing a bunch of work to get the list down to something that is pasted into another system that "processes" the comma-delimited list.  It is generally 600-1000 entries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @KENNEU, add this as new step (replace Source in my code with your previous step reference if needed):

= Text.Combine(Source[System Name], " , ")

Whole code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnRyNjQyVorViVYC0iamYBaIEREZpRQbCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"System Name" = _t]),
    Cobimed = Text.Combine(Source[System Name], " , ")
in
    Cobimed

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @KENNEU, add this as new step (replace Source in my code with your previous step reference if needed):

= Text.Combine(Source[System Name], " , ")

Whole code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnRyNjQyVorViVYC0iamYBaIEREZpRQbCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"System Name" = _t]),
    Cobimed = Text.Combine(Source[System Name], " , ")
in
    Cobimed

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You can try the following code to see if it solves your concern...

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"System Name", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.FromList(Table.ToList(Table.Transpose(#"Changed Type"), Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",")), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
    #"Converted to Table"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors