Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gill_133
Frequent Visitor

Changing source data from CSV to XML

Hi all,

Will preface this by admitting I know very little about XML files or APIs. I have an existing PBI model that is built from CSV files. I'd like to change the input from CSV to XML files. I am not able to attach files, so I apologise for that. I've included some screenshots below, hopefully that helps. 

My test XML file contains similar data to one CSV file already in the model. I imported the XML file, transformed it to appear the same as the CSV file in Power Query, and then tried to copy/paste the rest of the applied steps from CSV file advanced editor (from the yellow highlighted section onwards) into the XML file advanced editor (after my initial transformation steps), but I just got a syntax error... 

Is what I'm doing fundamentally wrong, or is there more likely just a small error I've made?

CSV advanced editorCSV advanced editorXML advanced editorXML advanced editor

Any hints or tips would be very much appreciated, I couldn't find anything on changing input to XML file specifically. 

Many thanks,

Gill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
isjoycewang
Super User
Super User

Unsure if it's the root cause, just to remind that remember to change the #"step name" to prior one.

If not, maybe you could let us know more about the syntax error detail. Thanks.

For example, if you need to paste on

#"Filter Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns2", each ......  from CSV editor

after

#"Renamed Columns7" = Table RenamedColumns(......  in the XML editor

please modify it as:

#"Filter Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns7", each ...... 

Best Regards,

Joyce

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gill_133
Frequent Visitor

That was it! Thanks Joyce. 

I had a few other syntax errors to address but they were fairly simple to find and address. 

Thanks again,

Gill

isjoycewang
Super User
Super User

Unsure if it's the root cause, just to remind that remember to change the #"step name" to prior one.

If not, maybe you could let us know more about the syntax error detail. Thanks.

For example, if you need to paste on

#"Filter Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns2", each ......  from CSV editor

after

#"Renamed Columns7" = Table RenamedColumns(......  in the XML editor

please modify it as:

#"Filter Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns7", each ...... 

Best Regards,

Joyce

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors