Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

uthall
Helper II
Helper II

Burndown Column

Hello,

I have a column (A) in a table that has numbers.

I want a new column (B) that is the result of the total sum of column A minus the row value for column A

AB

Can someone help me do this in powerquery?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @uthall 

add a custom column with this formula. You have to replace the PreviousStep with the name of your previous step

List.Sum(YourPreviousStep[A])-[A]

Here the complete code to copy into the advanced editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlaK1YlWMgGTRmDSFEyag0kLS6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t]),
    YourPreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(YourPreviousStep, "B", each List.Sum(YourPreviousStep[A])-[A], type number)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@uthall 

Basically you can just add a custom column on top of the previous step (underlined) using the following code:

V-pazhen-msft_0-1615187375952.png

Result:

V-pazhen-msft_2-1615187440721.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@uthall 

Basically you can just add a custom column on top of the previous step (underlined) using the following code:

V-pazhen-msft_0-1615187375952.png

Result:

V-pazhen-msft_2-1615187440721.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @uthall 

add a custom column with this formula. You have to replace the PreviousStep with the name of your previous step

List.Sum(YourPreviousStep[A])-[A]

Here the complete code to copy into the advanced editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlaK1YlWMgGTRmDSFEyag0kLS6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t]),
    YourPreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(YourPreviousStep, "B", each List.Sum(YourPreviousStep[A])-[A], type number)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thnaks for this.

It seems awfully complicated tho, isnt there a simpler way of doing this using a column and powerquery?

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @uthall 

adding a custom column and putting my first code is awfully complicated? It's the most basic and easiest thing to do in power query. The second code is only to show a whole example if somebody would like to see it working as a whole, without having a dataset ready

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors