Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

chelynne
Regular Visitor

Bug? - IsInNextNMonths

I'm experiencing some very weird results with this powerquery formula. I know the formula is a bit janky, but it's not working as it should.  

 1st pic - formula,

2nd pic - weird result. June 26th is NOT within the next 12 months. 3rdpic - formula not properly populating a few of the results that do indeed have expiry dates. 

16552397467524922904905333228625.jpg

16552400918503251055460928969763.jpg

16552398459104435550351615613983.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Both Date.IsInNextNMonths and Date.IsInPreviousMonths ignore the current month, because the current month is not in the next months, you cannot use either as an absolute for future/past. You'd need to use an OR condition with Date.IsInCurrentMonth. and is after today.

edhans_0-1655243282081.png

for example:

Date.IsInNextNMonths([Date], 6) or (Date.IsInCurrentMonth([Date]) and [Date] > DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))

With today being June 14, 2022...

edhans_1-1655243661735.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

I thought this made sense, but it's throwing an error for the affected lines. I'll update with errors soon.

It also did not fix the problem of June 26th showing within the next 12 months. 

I still think there's a bug regarding what it considers a month

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
chelynne
Regular Visitor

1st photo - 26 June 23, is showing within 12 months. It's only the 15th, it should be showing 18.

2, 3, 4 , the updated formula I'm trying and the error it created. 

I cannot read those photos clearly, and stuff is cut off.

I mocked up some quick data and it works just fine. The June and July dates in the future show expiring. You need to really test for current month and in the future, and next 1 month.

edhans_0-1655309335129.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtM3NNU3MjAyUorViVYy1Tc0Q/DMUeQsUHhmCJWxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Source,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Sorted Rows",{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Added Expiring" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Changed Type", 
            "Expiring in Next 2 Months", 
            each Date.IsInNextNMonths([Date], 1) or (Date.IsInCurrentMonth([Date]) and [Date] >= DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),
            Logical.Type
        )
in
    #"Added Expiring"

Again, if you want some detailed help, I'll repeat my request. If you can post data per below with expected output we can assist with a formula that works.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Perfect, so I got the 2 month to work, but I'm still unhappy with the time intelligence. 

With 'else if Date.IsInNMonths([Security Expiration Date]), 12) then "12" '
I expect June 26th 2023, to come out as 18, because it's not in the next 12 months, but got 12.

When I changed it to "else if Date.IsInNMonths([Security Expiration Date]), 11) then "12", I got 18...

But I also got 18 on 7 June -12 June as well, which is wrong.

Do I have to use some complicated formula of 
else if Date.IsInNMonths([Security Expiration Date]), 12) - current day or something?

June 26, 2023 is in the next 12 months. This is June 2022. The next 12 months are July, August, Sept...April, May, June 2023.

You are wanting it to look at the next 365 days or something, and if that is the case, use Date.IsInNextNDays([Date],365) which would seem to work better for you unless a leap year messed it up by one day for a particular calc. But remember, Date.IsInNextNDays(#date(2022,6,16),30) will return false, because today is not in the next N days. You still have to account for the current day as I showed in previous posts.

So the answers you are getting from Power Query are not wrong. You just have a different expectation of what the formula is calculating.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Both Date.IsInNextNMonths and Date.IsInPreviousMonths ignore the current month, because the current month is not in the next months, you cannot use either as an absolute for future/past. You'd need to use an OR condition with Date.IsInCurrentMonth. and is after today.

edhans_0-1655243282081.png

for example:

Date.IsInNextNMonths([Date], 6) or (Date.IsInCurrentMonth([Date]) and [Date] > DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))

With today being June 14, 2022...

edhans_1-1655243661735.png

I thought this made sense, but it's throwing an error for the affected lines. I'll update with errors soon.

It also did not fix the problem of June 26th showing within the next 12 months. 

I still think there's a bug regarding what it considers a month

No, there are no bugs here. I've used both extensively.  If you can post data per below with expected output we can assist with a formula that works.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

My expected result. I want to see things expiring  within the next 2 months, including this month as 2. 

I want to things expiring within the next year(it's now 15 June 22, so before 15 June 23) as 12, if nothing else has been written yet. 

IMG_20220615_114431.jpg

 Expected Result ^ 18, not 12. That date is not within the next 12 months... or do I need to change it to 11 months if it doesn't count the current month? This isn't super intuitive. 

IMG_20220615_114531.jpg

 New formula I'm trying. I changed the "2" line to -->
else if Date.IsInNextNMonths([Security Expiry Date]), 2) or (Date.IsInCurrentMonth([Security Expiry Date]) and [Security Expiry Date] > DateTime.LocalNow) then "2"

IMG_20220615_114632.jpg

IMG_20220615_113215.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors